Green eggs?

tuculover

20210613_152121.jpg.3500a2110441da34e62d6f08c9390261.jpg

Edit - adding picture

Afternoon all!

I have found three cherry shrimp like this today, though the image is the worst of them. It looks like small eggs, but I've never seen them this small or this color before. These all look like male shrimp too, so I'm double confused. All my other shrimp look great, including the normal berried females. Only RCS, one small and two endlers (just popping fry today!) in an established 10 gallon.

Thank you all!

Edited by tuculover

Yeah thanks. I'm not too happy about this but hopefully i can be aggressive and keep it down. Interesting that it's just really showing up now, I've had this tank for a year and haven't added anything new. I'll see what I can do with culling and ich-x.

This is a new disease for me, which is interesting. Usually I've at least heard of something, this wasn't even on my radar.

I have dealt with ellobiopsidae in a batch of shrimp.  My exotics/aquatic Veterinary Services confirmed it. I was lucky it was caught during intake quarantine.  My understanding is it can lay dormant for 6 months. Ellobiopsidae definitely does not look like eggs at all. It will stretch from just under the tail fin to below the “neck” where the shell cracks. It looks like a feathery plant with tufting to the sides eggs never go to the sides. It is very obvious when they are in the water with a magnifying glass. I have seen small infertile/ improper green eggs that the mother drops intentionally into the substrate if they simply are not viable for whatever reason a time or two. With a magnifying glass if they are round they are not ellobiopsidae.  I chose to start. 2 gallon tank for that batch as I simply couldn’t just euthanasia the whole colony but the dormancy period was enough I would not risk my colony. I hope that helps. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, Guppysnail said:

I have dealt with ellobiopsidae in a batch of shrimp.  My exotics/aquatic Veterinary Services confirmed it. I was lucky it was caught during intake quarantine.  My understanding is it can lay dormant for 6 months. Ellobiopsidae definitely does not look like eggs at all. It will stretch from just under the tail fin to below the “neck” where the shell cracks. It looks like a feathery plant with tufting to the sides eggs never go to the sides. It is very obvious when they are in the water with a magnifying glass. I have seen small infertile/ improper green eggs that the mother drops intentionally into the substrate if they simply are not viable for whatever reason a time or two. With a magnifying glass if they are round they are not ellobiopsidae.  I chose to start. 2 gallon tank for that batch as I simply couldn’t just euthanasia the whole colony but the dormancy period was enough I would not risk my colony. I hope that helps. 

Unless the ellobiopsidae may have hit the eggs before they were fully formed? I’m not an expert just had that one instance...on the upside I only had 2 of 20 get hit and after I was 3 and 4 generations in I finally added them to my colony and have never seen it again so you have hope