Best plant nutrient test kits?

Hello all! I just bought my first few red plants and I know they like a little extra iron (usually a little more than what is in Easy Green from what I understand). Anyway, I also know that water differs in the amount of minerals it contains, and too much iron=BBA. Yuck! So, I'm on the hunt for some accurate tests for Iron, Potassium and Calcium. I don't want to overdose my iron and I'm looking at adding some Amano Shrimp to one of my tanks (want to make sure I have enough calcium) and bunch of java fern to my other tank (which, I understand, loves A LOT of potassium). I've seen that Sera's are pretty highly rated...I'm a Seachem junkie so I've looked at theirs too...but I want to know what our community trusts and uses!! So I'd love everyone's two cents on which brand of tests are your go to for these nutrients!! 😃

I like using the API GH/KH test kit. Since GH measures both calcium and magnesium you won't really know how much calcium is in your water but I think it still serves the same purpose for what you are looking for.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 5:28 PM, Koi said:

I like using the API GH/KH test kit. Since GH measures both calcium and magnesium you won't really know how much calcium is in your water but I think it still serves the same purpose for what you are looking for.

I use that test as well in my weekly water parameter checks. I add Seachem Equilibrium at water changes to add minerals because my tap water is so soft (GH of barely 3 and KH of barely 2) as well as Alkaline Buffer (I know I could use Wondershell or crushed coral but I’m a control freak and add the Seachem products to reach specifically desired GH and KH of 7 and 4 respectively, based on my fin babies’ preferences). But, I am more looking to get into the weeds (pun intended) beyond just general hardness and carbonate hardness, especially since I am running a higher tech set up in one tank with known pickier plants for the first time. Particularly with the Iron; definitely don’t want to accidentally overdose my way into a BBA outbreak. 😁

On 6/13/2021 at 6:41 PM, Colu said:

API do copper and I think they lron test kits

I use their copper one when I need to dose Coppersafe! All of my current basic parameter tests are the liquid API kits, but I find some of the color charts a little difficult to discern which makes me want to look elsewhere for Iron and Potassium testing. I like to branch out too, though, just in case there is something better and/or more accurate that I don’t know about, so I figured ask the experts what you guys use! I’m new to higher-tech planted tanks so thinking about providing and balancing micro and macro nutrient levels feels like rocket science to me right now 😆

Not that I fully understand how iron works, it seems to me iron is a little hard to test accurately (or at least I've given up on trying out different test kits).

I've noticed that testing even a few hours after dosing, iron isn't present or isn't being detected. Since you mentioned that you are a Seachem Junkie it would be safe to assume you are using Flourish Iron?. If so, luckily for you Seachem uses a form of iron that is readily usable for plants... the bad news is that it's very unstable and precipitates out quickly which I think plays into being difficult to test. 

If I can offer some advice, a little bit of iron will go a long way. I've had better results dosing smaller amounts of iron more frequently throughout the week than if I were to dose that same amount of iron once a week.

I'm guessing by hi tech you mean co2 injection? Looking at your gh/kh it sounds like you have quite the ideal setup, would love to see your tank!