Emperor Tetra?

Averus

I was able yesterday to get the first batch of fish my my newly cycled 55 gallon tank, and decided to get some Black Neon Tetras.  The guy at the store was extra nice and gave me a few extra free to boot.

The fish have adapted fine to the tank, everyone is eating and swimming around okay, and no changes in the water parameters, but I noticed something strange with three of the fish I got.  They do not congregate with the rest of the Black Neons, and they look a little different.  I was assuming they were juveniles because they are so small and they do not have the color of the adults.  The trio of them are sticking together and really love to hang out by the plants.  They are eating okay and are very spunky, so they don't look sick.

I am suspecting they are young Emperor Tetras that I got by accident.  I am not going to complain if so, but I am concerned that only three is not enough for them to be happy in the tank.  How long can I wait till I can grab a few more to make them happy?  I really want to clamp down on aggression issues, which now I may have. 😞

I took a couple pictures, but admittedly it was hard to get them with them zipping around so much.

fish2.jpg

fish1.jpeg

On 6/13/2021 at 1:39 PM, Averus said:

I was able yesterday to get the first batch of fish my my newly cycled 55 gallon tank, and decided to get some Black Neon Tetras.  The guy at the store was extra nice and gave me a few extra free to boot.

The fish have adapted fine to the tank, everyone is eating and swimming around okay, and no changes in the water parameters, but I noticed something strange with three of the fish I got.  They do not congregate with the rest of the Black Neons, and they look a little different.  I was assuming they were juveniles because they are so small and they do not have the color of the adults.  The trio of them are sticking together and really love to hang out by the plants.  They are eating okay and are very spunky, so they don't look sick.

I am suspecting they are young Emperor Tetras that I got by accident.  I am not going to complain if so, but I am concerned that only three is not enough for them to be happy in the tank.  How long can I wait till I can grab a few more to make them happy?  I really want to clamp down on aggression issues, which now I may have. 😞

I took a couple pictures, but admittedly it was hard to get them with them zipping around so much.

fish2.jpg

fish1.jpeg

Yep definitely emperor tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri). I would say that they are fine right now in the group of three (there should only be minimal if any territorial issues since they are juveniles), but they will definitely appreciate larger groups, as they are tetras and (as you mentioned) they feel more secure this way.

About your question with the cycling process however, I am not too well-versed in this topic, but I'll give it my best shot anyway. I would check your water parameters and see if the nitrite levels are not ideal. If you have very low amounts, it will probably be okay to add more fish.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply!  I have been regularly checking the water, as as doing a water change before I grabbed the fish to be safe, and everything there is okay.  I do have some diatoms right now, nothing hideous, but I expected that and will be getting some nerites to help eat them up.

I was going to grab some platies when I get my next fish, but getting a few more emperors is a top priority.  These little guys are the only ones I have see, so I guess I will just have to keep my eyes open for a few more at the stores.  Two of little emperors do swim up to see the black neons occasionally, but they do obviously like being with themselves more. 

This does effect my stocking list a bit, I was going to get either some dwarf rainbowfish or one of the tetras with a less streamlined body, like a pristella or lemon tetra group.  I know I have room to work with in a 55, but I want to make sure I will not overstock it either.

• Like 1

Got an update, I was able to get get a few more young emperor tetras so they would have a complete school!

Which resulted in both the black neons and emperors deciding to make a giant school and swim together.  I think my fish may be insane.

Not really worried, both fish look like they are getting along well and them moving together in a large group is certainly more impressive.  They also know I bring the food, as they now all rush to the front when they see my holding certain things, they can recognize the some of the freeze dried food packages.  Of course the old fish also taught the new ones this too.  I never expected tetras to have this much personality!

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 3:44 PM, CorydorasEthan said:

Yep definitely emperor tetras (Nematobrycon palmeri). I would say that they are fine right now in the group of three (there should only be minimal if any territorial issues since they are juveniles), but they will definitely appreciate larger groups, as they are tetras and (as you mentioned) they feel more secure this way.

About your question with the cycling process however, I am not too well-versed in this topic, but I'll give it my best shot anyway. I would check your water parameters and see if the nitrite levels are not ideal. If you have very low amounts, it will probably be okay to add more fish.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Kerris have similar coloring when they are small. What is a good tell?

On 6/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, Averus said:

fish2.jpg

fish1.jpeg

Love black neons! I have 6 living with 6 Kerri tetras. They have been in my planted 30 for about a year now.

58F04357-4FC0-4206-962E-3A0EE02219D6.jpeg

• Like 1

I have six of each right now, I hope down the road I they can be like you have.  My tank is pretty heavily planted, but it is just starting, so the plants right now are a little short.  I am just happy they are getting along and this entire episode has turned into a happy accident.

The picture is a great reference to show what they will look like later on, and I do like the contrast between them.  Right now the emps are pretty small, but the ones I got earlier have already gown a little, so I must be doing something right here.