White cloud mountain minnows

Josh333

Had a new tank setup awhile ago and just threw in a pair of white cloud minnows I had in my community tank into the fluval spec 5 gal, noticed a fry in the tank being taken by the current didn't get a good look then saw these guys in the filter and pump compartments of the tank. Any advice to keep these guys alive and healthy?

IMG_20210613_000836.jpg

• Like 1

Can you put them in a floating breeder? My understanding is you can feed them foods that you're feeding your adult fish, like crushed flake or pellet, and of course first foods that they sell at LFS. My floating breeder boxes (solid bottoms, vented sides) have worked best for my Otos, but the netted kind might work better for these kind of fry. I crush Hikari Algae wafers for my baby Otos have kept them alive and thriving so crushing adult food does indeed work. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 1:39 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Can you put them in a floating breeder? My understanding is you can feed them foods that you're feeding your adult fish, like crushed flake or pellet, and of course first foods that they sell at LFS. My floating breeder boxes (solid bottoms, vented sides) have worked best for my Otos, but the netted kind might work better for these kind of fry. I crush Hikari Algae wafers for my baby Otos have kept them alive and thriving so crushing adult food does indeed work. 

I do have first bites I can give them, probably will go get a breeder box 

So, a weird thing just happened to me today. I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tank with 5 Platinum Medakas and 11 Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows outside.. The Medakas usually stay near the top and I see them daily, I have several mops and have been collecting Medaka eggs and eggs have started hatching in small food storage containers indoors. I basically had no idea what was going on with the GWCMM because except for feeding they stay at the bottom of the pea soup which has developed and I rarely see them and I have been concentrating on the Medaka. 

A few days ago I put one of those Mesh Floating plastic frame fry tank into the tub in preparation for moving the Medaka fry out to it when they get big enough to put outside and won't be able to escape through the mesh, which is quite fine, but still big enough holes for newborn Medaka fry to get through. Today (remember I put NO EGGS NOR FRY in the mesh fry tank) the mesh fry tank has at least 8+ fry in it. So I am assuming the GWCMM are birthing genius fry who know to go into the fry tank and stay protected. The fry in the tank are black to dark grey. The Medaka fry I am hatching out indoors are transparent. The only answer is the GWCMM are making their way into the fry tank on their own through the fine mesh. And it implies there may be MANY more fry in the tub. I put a piece of hornwort and some Java moss in the tank with the fry.

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, GHSEZG said:

So, a weird thing just happened to me today. I have a 100 gallon Rubbermaid tank with 5 Platinum Medakas and 11 Gold White Cloud Mountain Minnows outside.. The Medakas usually stay near the top and I see them daily, I have several mops and have been collecting Medaka eggs and eggs have started hatching in small food storage containers indoors. I basically had no idea what was going on with the GWCMM because except for feeding they stay at the bottom of the pea soup which has developed and I rarely see them and I have been concentrating on the Medaka. 

A few days ago I put one of those Mesh Floating plastic frame fry tank into the tub in preparation for moving the Medaka fry out to it when they get big enough to put outside and won't be able to escape through the mesh, which is quite fine, but still big enough holes for newborn Medaka fry to get through. Today (remember I put NO EGGS NOR FRY in the mesh fry tank) the mesh fry tank has at least 8+ fry in it. So I am assuming the GWCMM are birthing genius fry who know to go into the fry tank and stay protected. The fry in the tank are black to dark grey. The Medaka fry I am hatching out indoors are transparent. The only answer is the GWCMM are making their way into the fry tank on their own through the fine mesh. And it implies there may be MANY more fry in the tub. I put a piece of hornwort and some Java moss in the tank with the fry.

Lol that's amazing!

• Love 1

On 6/14/2021 at 4:34 PM, GHSEZG said:

I found my WCMM fry in the pump compartment of my fluval spec v. Had no Idea I had a couple lol