German Blue Ram Breeding Journal

On 3/22/2022 at 9:02 PM, Atitagain said:

Thanks @Fish Folk this journal has been great, really has tought me a lot of how to care for GBR and how to raise their fry.

I think the flow-through floating fry box is actually a far better method for pulling. I’ve done very little daily maintenance, and fry are on to BBS now.  My hope is that consistency in water chemistry with parent tank is true gold.

• Like 2

Getting prepped for a two week vacation coming up next month. 😫

Here is my plan for these Ram fry. Kind of a boring “procedural” video explanation, but I hope this will preserve them. I’ll be unable to depend on my helper / feeder to make BBS while we’re away.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:02 AM, Fish Folk said:

Getting prepped for a two week vacation coming up next month. 😫

Here is my plan for these Ram fry. Kind of a boring “procedural” video explanation, but I hope this will preserve them. I’ll be unable to depend on my helper / feeder to make BBS while we’re away.

This is not boring at all and terrific info!

Maybe get some live Daphnia to add to the tank they’re going into.  That would give them something to nosh on through the day.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just moved a pair of Rams from my 40 breeder where my Discus spawned down to my 55 gal where another pair of Rams are at.

This video shows what happens. One male goes colorless, indicating “I’m not dominant.” But the females start vying for the dominant male.

Lots of color! Lots of passion!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2022 at 7:46 AM, Fish Folk said:

At peak maturity. Here’s a male from the batch of fry that kicked off this journal…

ABEBC474-F5F1-4203-991D-12EF8D66D9D0.jpeg.9d916c94f1d1ce25fc7bb8c64bd04225.jpeg

C88BD70F-3ED0-4957-A76E-224B13530FCA.jpeg

Absolutely zero photo editing. Yes, they do get purple fins.

Is he going to stick around for breeding or are you going to sell him? 

On 6/25/2021 at 12:03 PM, Fish Folk said:

From this pair, yes. We’ve raised hundreds of them before this way.

You do seem like an expert, my goodness!  I love Rams! Yours are truly beautiful!  You’re not in California by any chance are you?  I used to have German Rams

Edited by sweetpoison
Photo was messed up
  • Like 1

On 6/3/2022 at 2:50 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Not sure where I would put him but that feels like a secondary concern with a fish that pretty! Maybe we can do a deal for him and some rainbow shiners?

I want rainbow shiners!!  Just discovered them yesterday. Here. Is this something that you ship? To California🙏

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:08 AM, sweetpoison said:

I want rainbow shiners!!  Just discovered them yesterday. Here. Is this something that you ship? To California🙏

I’m out in Western MD. I could ship to CA. Got a box arriving in OR this week. I love both Rams and R. Shiners. When I have some for sale, I’ll post under the WTS group here on the Forum.

• Like 1

That would be awesome thank you!  I just set up my tank so I’m not really quite ready. But I really want rainbow shiners first. I have a 20 gallon long so probably can’t get any more than 10 right?  I’m putting them with Rummynose Tetras if you think that’s a good fit. Because I’m going to get 24 of each and nothing else for a while a long while.

• Like 1