German Blue Ram Breeding Journal

My dad and I were supposed to drive from Ohio to Maryland on Wednesday. We delayed to yesterday when we saw the weather. That was one big storm. So sorry that the female ram didn’t pull through. I wonder what it is, since you’ve seen it before in other rams.

On 9/3/2021 at 5:16 PM, Hobbit said:

My dad and I were supposed to drive from Ohio to Maryland on Wednesday. We delayed to yesterday when we saw the weather. That was one big storm. So sorry that the female ram didn’t pull through. I wonder what it is, since you’ve seen it before in other rams.

This is my going theory… “dropsy” …

094FB91C-9195-422D-9E5F-FE92CA63A722.jpeg.bee1c7c91f8a8e6d9281bcf11c293f88.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2021 at 10:44 PM, Fish Folk said:

Some sort of external infection. Noticed growth-like things on left side of face early today. I may treat him in QT, but from past experience with Rams in this condition, it may be too bad to cure. 

I noticed a red area on the above and behind the eye. Does he alway have that. If he doesn’t maybe flukes.  

• Thanks 1

I’ve only had them once on some Gourami and I ended up treating for 2 illness. I used the the trio(2 doses), Levamisole Powder(1 doses) and then  with Bactocide 1. To be honest I was most worried about my discus that were tank mates and turned black so I’m not sure what worked on them. I was sure about the bactocide since I had never hear of it but a friend that has discus and swore by it. I used as a last resort and after 2 doses the discus looked better. I’m not sure which med did 

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 9:47 AM, Hobbit said:

So sorry @Fish Folk. You gave both those rams a beautiful, happy life!

I’ll update on the babies soon. They’re doing well. I have some ideas of where pathogens _might_ have come from. I did feed them several times from live mosquito larvae brought in from outside. It’s possible that was a cause. Another possibility is that the Discus tank isn’t as hospitable an environment as I wanted it to be. The fact that both died pretty close to one another, but with differing symptoms suggests that there’s something awry in the Discus tank. The big round fellas all seem alright, but sometimes larger fish don’t display their struggles as quickly as smaller ones.

• Like 1

What a fantastic way to bring the rest of us along. I read from start to finish over last couple days and I gotta say I learned so much and look at breeding under a new light. It’s amazing your son got you into this and the way you work together on this project it’s for lack of better word or phrase “special”

The way you showed the rough patches and even the heartbreaking moments, let me see and fully understand this process in a way that brings me closer to my fish and nature as a whole.

To you and your son, thank you. Can’t wait to follow the fry through the rest of their journey.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...