If I had a $100..... (setting up a shell dweller 10g)

Gideyon

I don't know if this post would be against the rules, so please let me know. 

I was gifted a $100 gift card at PetSmart. 

Recently due to life changes my next tank (#2) has been put on hold.   But with this gift, I've been tempted to downgrade my next tank from a 20 to a 10, which my counter I believe can support along side my current 10 gallon. 

Now here's my conundrum...  

I had a plan of getting low cost deals of obtaining things from Aquarium Co-op, petco for the tank, and hardware stores for sand and rocks. 

But with this new idea, I'm considering a shell dweller tank of 1 male, 2 females.  Sand, a decorative stone or two, and obviously shells. I may need crushed coral to raise the ph.  A glass lid, a simple led light.  UGF for an experiment with a plenum. 

While I can save money on many of those things, I need to exhaust the $100.  

Other than a 10 for $29, what are the best things to get that I can't get elsewhere for cheap? 

Is there a good option for black sand that isn't painted and that isn't black diamond blasting sand?   I don't want to buy a 50lb bag for a 10g. 

Edited by Gideyon

While searching around, I came across CaribSea African cichlid sand.  Black.  Color is exactly what I wanted.  But I had a question about the other factors of this. 

Screenshot_20210612-172918.png.75c798b723dc2a0ae43ef47d391b265d.png

It states that this will raise the pH to suitable levels for African cichlids. Hardness as well.   Apparently it doesn't stop working for the lifetime of the tank either.  I like the idea of this because I don't like adding things to alter pH and hardness. 

So the question: for those who have experience with this, does it really do what it says?   My normal pH is around 7.4.   No idea how hard it is. 

Also another question.... I'd like something better looking than escargot shells.  I've seen shark eye shells which would look good in black sand.  But are there other natural shells that aren't polished that are better?   If I search for hermit crab shells, will those be safe for shell dwellers?  It's hard to determine how big an opening is needed because I've never seen these fish in person. 

Edited by Gideyon

I just saw pictures of people using the substrate. Apparently it's not sand, and not all black. 

Oh well. 

So... Another option I've read but have no experience in is crushed coral in a HOB or maybe mixed in the substrate.   Any input on that if I used an inert black substrate?  Assuming I can find it....