Whats wrong with my platy

spl8589

Hey there. 

I have 3 platys in my 100L community tank. All is well apart from this platy! 

He started with a small mark on his head and it has got bigger and bigger. I noticed another small platy started chasing him a bit I guess cause he noticed an illness but nothing persistent or aggressive.. 

I've moved him to quarantine about a week ago and done 2 50% water changes . I added some metroplex as someone thought it could be hexamita, every 2 days but there has been no improvement that I can see so far.. if anything it seems more raised on his head than before. 

I will add the parameters later as I tested last night and wrote them down at home. But 0 ammonia 0 nitrite. Kind if high GH and quite low KH. Nitrate was a little high but i added some ferts last week and am due a water change.. Planted tank.. The tank is about 2 years old. I test roughly once every 2 weeks and there's been no drastic changes.

Any ideas? Someone else suggested applying methylene blue with a cotton bud incase its fungal.. 

Cheers 

20210610_221601.jpg

20210610_221610.jpg

20210610_221625.jpg

20210610_221642.jpg

• Sad 1

I’ve raised hundreds and hundreds of platys. Never saw this before. Sounds to me like you’re doing everything right. This may be a cancerous growth. I doubt it’s an abscess beneath the skin that will burst in time. This looks a lot like the wen on an oranda goldfish. 

• Like 1

Thats a shame to hear.. I noticed a very light whitening of his lips too.. so I'm thinking he may be run down.. and maybe has a bacterial infection of some kind too? though to be fair he is eating and swimming fine. The question now is if its a tumour do I put him back into the community tank and let him live out life there if he isn't stressed by the other fish? Or is there a risk it could be contagious and as such not a good idea? 

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

I set up another QT with a "stage 2" amount of salt.. 10 grams of salt for 1.5 US gallon as planning on using that with metroplex for a week or so to see if it improves, but I suppose will be futile if its a tumour.. 

I would keep him Qarantine and monitor for now salt will help Incase of secondary bacterial  as long as he seems to be eating ok and not suffering he should be fine for now if the mass gets bigger it might stop him from eating and if he's suffering you might have to consider euthanizeing him clove oil is the most humane way 

Edited by Colu

Regarding the white lips, I had a platy that developed white lips, and his top lip started recessing, for lack of a better term. I gravitated toward possible columnaris, and treated with salt, and the furan2/kanaplex combo. No positive change at all. Tried Fungus cure...no change.

After 2 full treatments of the furan2/kanaplex, I tried a different route for Columnaris, and went with API Triple Sulfa. After 1 treatment of that, the bleached white look to the lips started to color up slightly, and the upper lip stopped recessing. I did another round, and saw more progress.

I can't speak to the growth on the head, but that was my personal experience with white lips. Good luck, and keep us posted.

I had a molly with a growth something like that on her side. Appeared maybe a year after birth. She lived five years with that growth and it never slowed her down. I wouldn't worry too much, as long as the growth doesn't seem to affect its quality of life.