North American Native Collection Diaries

The purpose of this thread is to document my collection of Native North American Fish (as well as other aquatic life) and their habitats. The methods used to collect are often dip net, micro fishing, standard fishing pole, and or hand caught.

Edited by OrdinaryGamertag

Pictured below is a species of Chub i believe to be Semotilus atromaculatus (Creek Chub). Collected in a very small stream in South Carolina. The stream i collected this fish in was no wider than 2 feet and no deeper than 6 inches at the time of collection; However the stream was very much teeming with life including crayfish and these small fish. The Creek Chubs were in a group around the log (pictured below). I counted approximately 12 to 15 fry here in just this small section of the creek. Most of the fry were between 1/2 and 3/4 of an inch and stayed fairly close to their log which they would dart under when i got close. These fish are no doubt mostly trapped here and will never reach adult hood in this stream, but if they manage to make it down stream they can swim into a river where they will be able to survive. 

Date Collected 6/1/2021

Semotilus sp. 2.jpg

Semotilus sp..jpg

Semotilus habitat 2.jpg

Semotilus Habitat.jpg

• Like 5

Lepomis macrochirus (Blue Gill) a part of the sunfish family. Very wide spread throughout North America and especially abundant in the South East United States. This particular fish (pictured below) is a young Blue Gill approximately 3 to 3.5 inches in length was caught in a small pond via fishing pole and kayak. Commonly these fish will mostly live in and around fallen trees limbs or cover of some kind where they will be able to hunt for food.

Collection Date 6/4/2021

Blue Gill.jpg

• Like 4

Ameiurus catus (White Catfish or White BullHead) a species of catfish closely related to other bullheads and often miss identified as a Channel Catfish. The key differences between the two are the anal fin is much more rounded in White Cats as well as the tail is more of a rounded shape with a mellow fork. The Channel Cat in comparison has a much sharper fork in the tail and is not nearly as rounded. One of the main give a ways is a White Cats whiskers on the bottom of the chin will be white. (Also note the White Cat has almost a blue coloration on the top of the eyes as well as a darker colored fin just before the tail on its back)  Collected in a private pond but relatively easy to find in larger rivers and lakes.

Collection Date 6/4/2021

White catfish.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Unable to properly identify this species of crayfish but i do have some guesses. Possibly a Appalachian Brook Crayfish or maybe a Paper-Shell Crayfish. Collected in a very small stream in Upstate South Carolina. Any help getting a proper ID is appreciated!

Date collected: 06/19/2021

crayfish no id 2.jpg

Crayfish no id.jpg

crayfish no id 3.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/19/2021 at 11:38 PM, OrdinaryGamertag said:

Unable to properly identify this species of crayfish but i do have some guesses. Possibly a Appalachian Brook Crayfish or maybe a Paper-Shell Crayfish. Collected in a very small stream in Upstate South Carolina. Any help getting a proper ID is appreciated!

Date collected: 06/19/2021

crayfish no id 2.jpg

Crayfish no id.jpg

crayfish no id 3.jpg

Update: Species Identified as White Tubercled Crayfish (Procambarus spiculifer). I'm still not 100% certain but it seems to be the case.

• Like 1