West Coast Vacation Advice!

Betsy

Hello West Coast Forum friends!!

I need some help...my husband and I are going on an adventure up your side of the nation this summer!

We're starting in San Francisco and then renting a car to drive up the coast through Napa and then Eureka and then Mt. Shasta and then Crater Lake and then Willamette and then either Salem or Eugene and then Portland!  Phew!

Any suggestions of things to do or see?

Borderline sad we won't make it to Edmonds, WA OR the "10 Things I Hate About You" House...but surely there are plenty of fun things to do despite those setbacks! 😜

Oh my dear if you've never been here you ABSOLUTELY must see the Sequoia National Park (or the redwoods of some kind, Muir Woods is along your route but you may need to make a reservation to visit, the trees are smaller but you'll get the idea). The big trees grow nowhere else on earth. My Belgian friends were most impressed and weren't even into the "out of doors". 

If you're near San Jose you can pop into the Winchester Mystery House and take a tour, I've done it several times and it's always very interesting if you like that sort of thing. 

In San Francisco go to Ghiradelli Square and get yourself some chocolate and ice cream, that's a short walk from the Wharf. Visit China Town and Little Italy (pizza!!!!! I prefer Tony's Coal Fired Pizza off Washington SQ for a lunch bite) (right within walking distance from each other and close to Coit Tower and a beautiful park where the wild parrots live). Fog City Diner is a great place to have dinner and people watch- but there are so many other wonderful places to poke your head in. 

I'm not much of a Napa guide as it's notorious Wine Country and I don't drink so I can't help you there- but make sure you drive along the coast, it's very pretty.  

Mt Shasta is just a beautiful area, always wanted to see the caves but haven't gotten around to that yet. 

You should have lots of fun!

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Love 2

Phew is right! That’s quite a trip. 
If you keep heading North from Eureka you’ll be able to check out the two coastal Redwoods parks. When you hit Crescent city you can head back to I5 and onward to your other destinations. I’d suggest bypassing Shasta and Crater Lake and trying to see Mt. Rainer. We have lots of beautiful volcanoes in the NW but Rainer is the biggest and most impressive. 

• Thanks 1

I dont live in any of those states, or heck even America. But if your going to San Franscisco you have to go to Ocean Aquariums. That store is wiked cool! They dont do any waterchanges, very heavily planted, and do diy co2 injection. Heres a store tour cory did:

Ocean aquariums and Aquarium Co-Op are two places that are on my bucket list to visit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure if you're into Star Wars, but if you are you can visit Industrial Light and Magic in San Fransisco. I don't think they give tours, but there is an awesome Yoda Fountain out front and the lobby has some neat props. It was the highlight of the trip I took there. Although the city is full of a ton of other awesome touristy places.

• Thanks 1

Marin Headlands, Point Reyes, Avenue of the Giants. 

Rogue River Valley. Newberry Volcano. High desert museum. The entire Oregon coast from Florence to Newport and Depot Bay  Sisters, Oregon. Silver Falls. 

I'm not a big fan of Eugene or Salem but they're easy to pop in and out of off I-5. Portland is.... interesting right now. Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood and Timberline Lodge.

There's so much to see up here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 10:27 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'm not much of a Napa guide as it's notorious Wine Country and I don't drink so I can't help you there- but make sure you drive along the coast, it's very pretty.  

Now I’m picturing roving gangs of sommeliers plying visitors with bottles of Pinot Noir and searching cars for contraband Merlot. 😀

• Haha 2

Thank you all!!!

We are half tempted to just stay on the coast and not go inland to Mt. Shasta or Crater Lake...

These are all wonderful suggestions - I knew y'all would have that good knowledge!! 😜👍

One thing in favor of the Oregon Coast is the Gray Whales, especially around Depot Bay where there are resident as well as migrating whales. It’s a coastal microclimate so if you go be aware that it can be jacket weather in the middle of summer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Avenue of the giants is a must. Look for the exit after you pass Redway, it’s in the middle of a construction zone right now, so be on the lookout when the speed limit drops to 55. 😅 It will put you right back onto the 101 so totally worth driving through.

Patrick’s Point is one of my favorite places for a short hike.

Look up Fern Canyon too. It’s exactly what it sounds like and is so beautiful!

Edit: Oh these are all in Humboldt County, CA by the way!

Edited by Alexa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 10:55 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

@lefty o Have you ever been to seattle? The puget sound is not like a river, It's an incredibly deep and large marine estuary. I hate to get specific but the proper terminology is fjord estuary.

yes i have. some of you people need a hobby if you feel the need to criticize the terminology i used.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm baaaaack from the West Coast!

Managed to hit Portland, OR right in the middle of the heat wave (Sunday/Monday)...that was an experience, for sure! 🥵

I think the most common phrase I heard was, "Us Oregonians aren't used to this!" - it was brutally hot!

I'll post some more pictures and specifics later, but for now...saw this at the Seattle Airport, thought of y'all!! 😜👍

1600830975_Screenshot2021-06-302_07_58PM.png.a1aedbb12a4ab87116463eb2e8a7f701.png

Edited by Betsy
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alrighty - I've finally got my act together!!!  For anyone who is interested, here are a few highlights from the trip:

CRATER LAKE - holy canoli, that lake is BLUE!

1937881947_Screenshot2021-07-111_05_57PM.png.154e0128cd94e132dd463db8d1eb0342.png

REDWOOD NATIONAL FOREST - SO many great hikes that I'd love to still do!  When can I go back???

1179869270_Screenshot2021-07-111_04_22PM.png.c3859fac19ecb8fbc35c848d49a5004c.png

1267293879_Screenshot2021-07-111_02_35PM.png.4259358edce40332e8de37bb1fa10343.png

1250176624_Screenshot2021-07-111_03_14PM.png.961d58251c43303a907892cbc217d86b.png

THE FOOD IN PORTLAND - Deeeeelicious!  (Powell's Books was pretty sweet, too!)

768254705_Screenshot2021-07-111_06_55PM.png.21dc2c08d61fe803c2470b6092a003e7.png

ALL THE PLANTS IN SAN FRANCISCO - SO beautiful!!

1958004602_Screenshot2021-07-1112_55_45PM.png.1d4afd797bb6c0f058f9c04677e7de05.png

We're already talking about starting in Portland and going to Vancouver for a future trip!  And then...I guess that means we'll also have to start at San Francisco and go south...you know...just so we can get the entire west coast experience! 😜

Edited by Betsy
  • Like 3
  • Love 1