Aquarium coop brine shrimp eggs

Karen B.

I am somewhat new to hatching baby brine shrimps. I bought the Ziss hatchery, and aquarium coop eggs, of course!

I listened to Cory’s video about 1000 times and I am somewhat satisfied with my results.
But I wonder if I have too many unhatched eggs/shells? I put a light at the bottom, wait 5-10 minutles, double seive : first with a baby brine shrimp net, then with the ziss .10mm seiver.

Here is my results. My concern is that Cory mentions that Dean once said unhatched eggs/shells can cause problems with small fry. My fry are clown killifish - sooooo tiny! So is this ok? Or are there things I should be doing to reduce the amount?

E23480C3-AE42-4E59-8924-A56A4B620CED.jpeg

BCF8A971-0F61-4CF7-ACD3-2CC4C74D6DBC.jpeg

7D0F2067-638D-4D22-A17C-4FE5087D2805.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

You’re getting it! I made you a video just to explain how we extract ours. Our set up isn’t as nice as yours, but this should give you another idea to try. Sorry for the terrible audio...

Thanks!! Very interesting videos.

You seem to have much less egg shell/unhatched eggs in your harvested seringe then I do in my little cup. I wonder what I am doing wrong for all mine not to float on top like yours? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Karen B. said:

Thanks!! Very interesting videos.

You seem to have much less egg shell/unhatched eggs in your harvested seringe then I do in my little cup. I wonder what I am doing wrong for all mine not to float on top like yours? 

Not entirely sure. You could try setting up a specimen container with tank water, pouring the entire Ziss hatchery out over a brine shrimp net into a sink, and then dumping the eggs plus shrimp all into the container. Our egg casings will most all float.

How long have you let it run? How much salt did you use? How much brine shrimp eggs?