New 3 gallon Nano (pico) tank

On 8/2/2021 at 11:58 AM, Taco Playz said:

I'm looking into setting up one of my spare three gallons. What lights, filter, and pump did you use.

The light is an Aquarium Clip on Light for Small Borderless tanks made by XY-Firestar (this one only works on rimless tanks because of the mount)  
The filter is an AquaNeat nano filter as I find that co-ops nano filters are just too large for anything under 5gallons
The pump is one of co-op's USB nano pumps. 

We have two amazon swords, a dwarf lily, and some floaters with fluval plant and shrimp and its a jungle in there!  The CPDs love it.

What are you planning on stocking?

• 4 months later...

We haven't updated this journal in a long time, so I figured it was time.   Some of you know we picked up a gorgeous lady betta from AquaHuna.   She's living with a few bladder snails and seems very happy and healthy!

Her favorite foods so far are vibrabites and frozen brine shrimp. ❤️ 

271198278_1095756794543241_1149791490885176756_n.jpg

263871140_1353499038420406_5875424090014707076_n.jpg

270412335_646103883267375_4434268996990151345_n.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2022 at 4:37 PM, Paul_Obermiller said:

Where did you buy these barbs? I'm thinking about doing a 20-29 gall. nano tank.

My LFS had them in. I think he orders from the general fish farms - CA / FL. Maybe inquire at your LFS? The scientific name is:

Horadandia atukorali

You can learn some scientific data here.

They're the easiest little fish I've ever kept. They eat any prepared food offering. Currently, they're sharing tank with 20-30 German Blue Rams growing out.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:57 PM, Fish Folk said:

My LFS had them in. I think he orders from the general fish farms - CA / FL. Maybe inquire at your LFS? The scientific name is:

Horadandia atukorali

You can learn some scientific data here.

They're the easiest little fish I've ever kept. They eat any prepared food offering. Currently, they're sharing tank with 20-30 German Blue Rams growing out.

Thank you, and speaking of rams could I use distilled water to hatch ram eggs? I have 2 pairs that lay every week but the eggs never hatch and I think it's because my water is too hard.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, Paul_Obermiller said:

Thank you, and speaking of rams could I use distilled water to hatch ram eggs? I have 2 pairs that lay every week but the eggs never hatch and I think it's because my water is too hard.

Not distilled water. Use R. O. Water. If you live in U.S., just go to WalMart, buy the "Great Value" drinking water that says on the label "from R.O." source. Do not get "spring water" or the "distilled water."

For a very detailed breeding report, you can chug through this as your time allows...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am sad to report we lost our girl, Bluebonnet this morning.  

She would periodically release a batch of eggs (3 times since we had her).  Every time she would get lethargic the next day, but the day after would be back to her active, begging for food self.   Two days ago she released a batch and we found her dead this morning. 

I have no idea if this is normal for female bettas to release eggs every couple of weeks, and whether or not that can cause stress that could lead to death, but we're trying not to beat ourselves up too much about it.

I'm not sure where to go with this 3 gallon cube from here.

• Sad 3