New 3 gallon Nano (pico) tank

Update... all 3 of the remaining shrimp made it through the first night and appear to be active and eating.  Also,  it appears that one of them molted in the feeding dish,  which I think is a good sign? 

Edited by TheCzarista
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 10:39 AM, Patrick_G said:

I totally guessing, but it’s possible he’s a wild type Caridina that didn’t get culled. There’s a friendly dwarf shrimp page on Facebook called USA freshwater shrimp and plants. Someone on there will know what he is. 

The general consensus seems to be that Tiger is a mutt. They seem to think he needs to be culled.... but if we are not breeding to sell,  we just want a shrimp tank for us,  is there any harm in mutts? 

We don't care about only having the brightest ones, we won't be selling them,  do mutts hurt in any other way? 

• Like 1

Keeping this updated.  We planted 2 Amazon Swords, and the CPDs and Shrimp seem to approve.  

Dealing with a bit of a nitrite spike with Prime and more quick start.  We also added more floaters temporarily to help pull some of the nitrites/nitrates.  

The debris on the ground is what's left of an algae wafer, something I will probably avoid using in the future!

200451380_4047391862019103_8600785435119556324_n.jpg

• Like 1

Well...  the bad news is that we had a nitrite spike and we lost the 3 shrimp that had survived shipping.  The decision for now is to balance the tank, do water changes and get the parameters right,  and then look at alternative tank mates for the CPD. We have not given up on shrimp eventually,  but we want to take our time and learn more before we jump into that again. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That’s to bad. Since it’s a small tank it might take a while to balance. Here’s what I’m thinking: wait until the Java moss has doubled in size. That’ll be a good indicator that you’re heading towards a balanced tank and will give new shrimp a place to hang out. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2021 at 6:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

That’s to bad. Since it’s a small tank it might take a while to balance. Here’s what I’m thinking: wait until the Java moss has doubled in size. That’ll be a good indicator that you’re heading towards a balanced tank and will give new shrimp a place to hang out. 

We are definitely going to take things slowly. We have some research and planning to do

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, the tank is now well cycled and parameters have been stable.    Having this tank has taught us a lot about the nitrogen cycle (and also made us discover we have about 1ppm Ammonia in our tap water).

The 5 CPDs seem super happy and healthy, albeit not so keen on photos.   They are starting to grow and really show some great color now. 

We have more tangerine tigers on the way now that the water is stable and we are using a far more trusted seller, so lets hope that Shrimp 2 Electric Boogaloo is more successful.  I don't want to kill anymore of them!

lilymonth.jpg

• Like 1

Our new shrimp are here!  Drip acclimating seemed to go well, and the shrimp have been added to the tank.  Already they seem so much healthier than the last batch we got from the bad sellers.  Fingers crossed that they continue to thrive! 

20210702_171958.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, Patrick_G said:

Do you have some extra media or hardscape from your more established tank? My last batch of new shrimp seems to like grazing on some use filter floss I put in their tank. 

We just added a piece of cholla wood yesterday that came from an established tank. So far,  they have been swimming around and exploring the Java moss mesh wall in the back

• Like 2

Updated photo.... as you can see, the dwarf aquarium lily is going insane.  We have had the bulb for less than a month now.  Also, if you look really closely, in the bottom left, right next to the sponge filter, is one of the 5 celestial pearl danios that we have in the tank.  They are super shy, and they LOVE the planted tank.  We also do still have 4 tangerine tigers in there, but they like to spend a lot of time in the back mess/moss wall.

3 gallon.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe it has only been a bit over 5 weeks since we started this tank.  Its like a jungle in there now where the swords and the dwarf lily fight for dominance. 

Also, I swore I wouldn't name fish in schools but this one is Bubala, and she's my favorite.  She's the runt and always hangs out at the top front right of the tank right by my computer desk, so we chat all day.   She'll even eat from the top of the water.

5weeks.jpg

bubala.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...