Tank build: 90g Discus tank

Jeff

I've never done this before on a forum (a tank build / journal thread), but I think now is the time: for a couple of reasons. First, it's the biggest tank I've ever kept. And secondly, I'm going down the Cory rabbit hole - keeping fish I've never kept, that I always wanted. The plan for now is Discus, Rummynose Tetras, Corydoras, Cardinal Tetras, and German Blue Rams. This aspect of all new fish I've never tried is super exciting. 

As I'm in the very early stages of planning this tank, I do have the tank, though 🙂 I wanted to get some feedback on equipment and other items that I want to use. It's a good thing that I'm still planning, as I'm excited that Cory and team are testing out a light to eventually sell 😉 

First up, substrate. I'm really interested in finding out what plants, if any, can't be kept with sand. I know I'm already limited on plant selection in a high temp Discus tank. But, wanted to know if there were any plants that don't jive well with sand due to roots maybe? I dunno. I've also never had sand in a tank before. Does it matter which sand?

• Like 1

For the most part I dont think it matters what sand you use. I have heard of people even using play sand in their aquariums. In my community tank I used sand that was meant for Saltwater aquariums (my lfs is a saltwater store so it was the only one i could find) and it grows plants just fine:

image.png.21b3efab461bc83a6c509865b336e51c.png

I do however perfer the Seachem Black Flourite Sand. I have that substrate in the aquarium below the community tank.

Excited to see how this project comes together.

Edited by James Black

4 minutes ago, James Black said:

For the most part I dont think it matters what sand you use. I have heard of people even using play sand in their aquariums. In my community tank I used sand that was meant for Saltwater aquariums (my lfs is a saltwater store so it was the only one i could find) and it grows plants just fine:

image.png.21b3efab461bc83a6c509865b336e51c.png

I do however perfer the Seachem Black Flourite Sand. I have that substrate in the aquarium below the community tank.

Excited to see how this project comes together.

I would like to do Amazon Swords, Jungle Val, Anubias Nana, and some Crypt Lucen.

Also, the reason I'm going with sand, is the pre-mixed nutrient rich substrates lose their nutrients over time anyways. So, I don't think it's worth investing in substrates like those, IMO.

I'm just going to throw it out there that I have had all sorts of plants in with my German blue rams in the past and the only ones that really didn't like the heat were the mosses and monte carlo. I had my tank at 82°f in the summer and 80°f in the winter. My porch pond is growing plants like crazy right now and the temp is usually around 80-82°f. As for substrate, any sand will work fine, just use some root tabs or a base nutrient substrate layer for the best results. The co-op tabs work great under sand. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Also, the reason I'm going with sand, is the pre-mixed nutrient rich substrates lose their nutrients over time anyways. So, I don't think it's worth investing in substrates like those, IMO.

Yeah thats why I really like the flourite black sand because its an inert substrate from what I understand is that it doesnt come with the nutrients but it holds onto the nutrients really well. And according to some website they "last forever"

I kept the temperature in this Discus, rummy nose tetra, Corydoras, cardinal tetra, and blue ram tank in the mid 80s. All sword plants loved it. Most stem plants loved it as did the hairgrass and java fern. The substrate was Nature Aquariums Amazonia, but I suspect course sand would have worked just as well.

image.png.e299f46269c5493e4e239a3536e13f3a.png

If you look closely, you can Discus, rummy nose, cardinal tetras, and hatchet fish in this photo.