Fish Collecting in Florida

Tatt2_mike

Greetings everyone,

I was watching the live Q&A from May 30th. Cory was talking about perhaps before going to South American for a fish collection trip, why not try a Florida collecting trip out.
I've tried to Google a few different things with no luck.
My question is, is their an organization or tour group that takes tourists out?

• Administrators

There will be a collecting trip during the American Livebearers Association conference later this year (October). Also, Ryan from Wild Fishtanks (Instagram and YouTube) does a lot of collecting in Florida and may be able to point you in the right direction. 

1 hour ago, Zenzo said:

There will be a collecting trip during the American Livebearers Association conference later this year (October). Also, Ryan from Wild Fishtanks (Instagram and YouTube) does a lot of collecting in Florida and may be able to point you in the right direction. 

Zenzo, thank you for the response. I recently ordered 3 marble calico bristlenose from him. I'll look into messaging him. Congratulations on the new position! 

• Like 1

Florida is an interesting place to collect fish as you can find anything there. If you can find the location of an old fish farm that's now been abandoned, you're apt to find a wide variety of stuff lingering in nearby water. They've tightened up the fish farm rules quite a bit in later years, but way back, it was pretty much unregulated and lots of stuff moved from overflowing ponds to nearby rivers and lakes. Oscars get caught by fishermen on a regular basis in Florida, along with many other nonnative cichlids. Huge plecos lurk in many ponds and streams. 

• Like 1