Covid hobbies?

FriendlyLoach

Now that I think about it... none! But 2020 chances to be the time period during which I learned nitrates exist. That led me down a rabbit hole that resulted in finding this forum, owning tank plants for the first time, and some other fun aquarium-related stuff. That's it though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GameCzar said:

More time with an old hobby:  Video gaming

But we've taken to the fish keeping hobby during COVID.  🙂

Yup, my daughter warned my not to start playing LOL Wild Rift, but I didn’t listen and now it’s a huge time suck. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, sudofish said:

I'm a pretty big MMORPG nerd. Actually at the moment deciding whether to stick with World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XIV as MMORPG's are my jam. I also play Warframe some.

I play some older MMOs:  DDO and STO from time to time.   Play a lot of Mechwarrior Online too.

47 minutes ago, GameCzar said:

I play some older MMOs:  DDO and STO from time to time.   Play a lot of Mechwarrior Online too.

I liked DDO. SWG EMU is also very cool if you were a fan of star wars galaxies. Anarchy Online is another really old game that's still pretty fun if you like min-maxing stuff.

• Like 1

Fishkeeping! 🤣👍

My work BFF also got me interested in reading again!  So, I joined my local library so that I could rent digital copies of books (they have the Walstad book for digital access!!) and I joined the Book of the Month Club (best thing ever).

Andddd, I broke out my rigid mountain bike from middle school - a Schwinn Frontier from the time period when it was N*Sync vs. Backstreet Boys - and have been shredding the gnar (jk! lol.) on the local greenway.

• Like 3

Watching really bad old movies, mostly sci-fi.

For those of you in cicada country, listen to the synchronized pulsing of the brood in the evening or after cutting the grass, and then watch an old movie involving a flying saucer...  the invasion has begun.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tanked said:

For those of you in cicada country, listen to the synchronized pulsing of the brood in the evening or after cutting the grass, and then watch an old movie involving a flying saucer...  the invasion has begun.

Now you're talking!  Just re-watched Day of the Triffids again the other day.   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tanked said:

I watch a lot of old movies and TV. Most of my favorite shows recently are from the 70s and 80s.

• Like 2

I wish I could say that during this pandemic I have had a lot more time on my hands and been able to pick up a new hobby or past time, but I've been doing the same as far as work and home time as I was before it all started, just had to start wearing a mask any time I went out of the house, but thankfully in my state that ended a couple weeks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GameCzar said:

You'll enjoy it.  Its still campy enough to be "bad sci-fi" but its actually a decent flick.  The music is great.

I'll check into it.  Part of the fun is comparing real and imaginary tech. from yesterday and today's movies.  For me, the bad part usually comes from obvious production errors, some of which are intentional, but we weren't supposed to notice...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tanked said:

I'll check into it.  Part of the fun is comparing real and imaginary tech. from yesterday and today's movies.  For me, the bad part usually comes from obvious production errors, some of which are intentional, but we weren't supposed to notice...

I like seeing the "stuff" in the background in old movies/tv. Like in ET mentioned earlier Elliot had a fishbowl with what looked like guppies.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2021 at 11:17 AM, sudofish said:

I like seeing the "stuff" in the background in old movies/tv. Like in ET mentioned earlier Elliot had a fishbowl with what looked like guppies.

Background stuff allows us to time travel to the time and place we need to be.  Sometimes they just set the scene, and sometimes they hint of things to come in the movie and in real life.  There was a lot of product placement  in ET,  Mars Candies will forever regret not letting ET eat M&Ms .

On 6/11/2021 at 5:03 PM, FriendlyLoach said:

@sudofishSame but sometimes I will find things that make me mad, like the show the good doctor is a great show, but he got a little fish bowl with what I think is a few mollies. Since he is so smart you would think he would know that ammonia and stuff would build up. 

I stopped watching the Good Doctor after the first season, so the fishbowl was probably needed for plot development. I'm guessing Hubert was the fish and it did not end well for Hubert?  The YT video of the Marlin exploding in the MRI chamber was fun to watch. (season 3)