“The One that got away” - Breeding Failures

Fish Folk

Been thinking recently about a few fish we tried successfully breeding and raising, came close, but ultimately  failed with in the end. In sport fishing, there’s the iconic narrative of “the one that got away.”

I challenge anyone to share a story of fish breeding _failure_ here. Here’s mine...

Laetacara araguaiae (Purple Smiler)

56BE2207-5A70-4453-8224-02DD172E5159.jpeg.ecebd4df76de426fdbaeea12dde4659b.jpeg

An interesting small Cichlid from South America. We bought half a dozen subadults at a fish club auction. Let them mature in a 20 gal. long until some began to pair off. We used rain water / sump ground water for water changes. Fed on live and frozen foods, and finally had a spawn. We pulled eggs, and were soon rewarded with a glorious cloud of free-swimming fry.

But something went wrong, and the batch crashed. Then it happened all over again. I think, looking back, that the vinegar eels had too much acid in. Eventually we sold the adults. But now I’m wishing we had kept trying...

So what’s your fish tale? 

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 2

My breeding failure so far would be my CPDs. I had one successful spawn last December right before I went out of town and I did my best to try and save the fry but I came back from a 3 week vacation and they were all gone 😞 I’ve tried a few different methods since but no luck, I think adding in things like my habrosus cories and my apisto has prevented any fry from happening in tank, so I’ve tried moving them to breeder boxes with no success. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

My breeding failure so far would be my CPDs. I had one successful spawn last December right before I went out of town and I did my best to try and save the fry but I came back from a 3 week vacation and they were all gone 😞 I’ve tried a few different methods since but no luck, I think adding in things like my habrosus cories and my apisto has prevented any fry from happening in tank, so I’ve tried moving them to breeder boxes with no success. 

Thanks for sharing! We’ve never had CPDs. None of our LFS have ever had them that I remember.

1 hour ago, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Id go with the Bolivian Rams back in May. Paired off spawned on back of a coconut hut, fry hatched and were free swimming for 2 weeks or so theb gone. Im thinking should have pulled them at 1 week and done suspended fry food. And some vinegar eels before getting to BBS and everything after than. Lesson learned for next try

Two weeks is a long way in to lose a batch. Bummer! We’ve done German Blue Rams a few times, but not Bolivians. All the ones we see at our LFS seem to be misshapen. I’d love to see a happy crew well colored up! In the right light, they’re beautiful.  

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1