tank temp question?

Sal

Hi All, 

I'll try to keep this short, but essentially - how warm is too warm for a community tank temp?

We normally keep ours at around 79-80, but the new tank is in an area of the house that is kind of far from a/c, and over these past few extra hot days in the north east, it's gotten up to 83 a couple of times.  I've been doing water changes when it gets much higher than that to reduce it down a bit, but I am wondering if I need to think about adding another a/c in the vicinity of the tank for a more consistent temp over there...

Advice?

It depends on the type of fish you’re keeping. If you are keeping Discus or Rams, then your fine. For most community fish and plants that is a bit high. Does the tank stay at 83 plus or does it drop down in the evening or early morning? If it reaches that temperature only periodically during the hot summer months,but drops down later in the day and would not worry to much.  I set my community tank to 74, but during this time of the year it gets up to 80 ,but cools back down during the night and early morning. If your aquarium is constantly 83+ during the summer months and you can afford it I would add the Ac to keep the temperature a little lower, depending on the fish you keep.

• Like 1

Keeping angels, tetras, corydoras, plecos, and a few snails.  The cory's are definitely less active than usual, just kinda hanging out under the rocks and wood...  I've been turning off the tank lights as well.

The summer heat in New England is weird...  We don't typically have long stretches of HOT HOT outdoor temps, but when we do, it's a WICKED KILLAH.

That being said, the tank temps are only dropping slightly in the evenings/mornings (like by less than half a degree) BUT, this outdoor hot stretch will only happen a few times a year, if that, and only last for a few days (typically).  For example, it's expected to be mid 90's for a high temp today, but on Friday it's forecasted to be a high of 65 where I live...  Welcome to New England.  🤣

I would say that the tank being above 80 only happens like 5 times a year...  trying to decide if it's worth the extra few hundred, plus electricity, to run another ac unit nearby.  

Edited by Sal

I find that angelfish thrive best at 78 Farenheit. I would try and lower the temperture of the heater to like 74, that way the excess room heat wont overheat it. And then in the winter move the heater back to 78 Farenheit.

33 minutes ago, Sal said:

.  For example, it's expected to be mid 90's for a high temp today, but on Friday it's forecasted to be a high of 65 where I live...  Welcome to New England.  🤣

I feel that, in April one day it was 30Celsuis (mid 90sFarneheit) next day it was snowing and below freezing tempertures! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

What size is the tank?

What about taking one of those mini bottles of water and freezing it and letting it float in the tank. I do something like this for my hydroponics because the plants will not uptake the nutrients in really high temp water. So i float a frozen water bottle in it to cool it down a bit.  Since its in the bottle it doesnt mess with the water parms. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ARMYVET said:

What size is the tank?

What about taking one of those mini bottles of water and freezing it and letting it float in the tank. I do something like this for my hydroponics because the plants will not uptake the nutrients in really high temp water. So i float a frozen water bottle in it to cool it down a bit.  Since its in the bottle it doesnt mess with the water parms. 

Oh good idea!  I had thought about ice cubes in a ziplock bag too, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

The tank is a 120 gallon...  I've set up a bunch of fans to blow the air from the air conditioned areas of the house over toward the tank, and so far have brought it from 83.8 F to 83.2 F - but that's about it...

Hi @Sal, I'm in Vermont and experiencing the same temps you're describing. We've got no AC in the house but I use little fans on my 2 tanks and am able to keep the temp below 80. As you say, it doesn't seem worth it to invest in an additional AC unit given that these high temps are rare. The fans I use are very small usb fans designed to plug into the usb port of a laptop to keep you cool while you work. I just use a suction cup airline tube holder and a piece of tape to attach the fan to the side of the tank and let it blow over the surface. It's quite effective, I usually have to top up the tank at least once a day to account for the evaporative cooling. I don't actually know the answer to your question regarding how hot is too hot but, like you, I was worried about it and the fans were an easy and inexpensive solution. Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Perry said:

Hi @Sal, I'm in Vermont and experiencing the same temps you're describing. We've got no AC in the house but I use little fans on my 2 tanks and am able to keep the temp below 80. As you say, it doesn't seem worth it to invest in an additional AC unit given that these high temps are rare. The fans I use are very small usb fans designed to plug into the usb port of a laptop to keep you cool while you work. I just use a suction cup airline tube holder and a piece of tape to attach the fan to the side of the tank and let it blow over the surface. It's quite effective, I usually have to top up the tank at least once a day to account for the evaporative cooling. I don't actually know the answer to your question regarding how hot is too hot but, like you, I was worried about it and the fans were an easy and inexpensive solution. Good luck!

This heat wave needs to go!!  🤪

This is actually a good idea too!  I have a shelf above the tank and I think I have a clip on fan I could angle down toward the surface.  I am going to try that too, thanks @Perry   Stay cool!

• Like 1

WYCKED HOT!! I do miss listening to  New English.

Your stocking should be a problem with those temps. One key: add air. Higher temps make oxygen depletion a concern. Also, a small clip on fan across the water surface would help. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

WYCKED HOT!! I do miss listening to  New English.

Your stocking should be a problem with those temps. One key: add air. Higher temps make oxygen depletion a concern. Also, a small clip on fan across the water surface would help. 

I meant to say “stocking should be NO problem” ... sorry

• Like 1

This heat wave is a BEAST in Maryland. My central AC broke and I'm using a portable unit which is not able to keep up with temps in the mid-90s for days on end. Inside the house it has been up to 88 degrees from mid-afternoon to late at night. I've unplugged the aquarium heaters and aimed fans at them with tops up, but they're still getting probably uncomfortably warm and there isn't much I can do. I am most worried about the danios, who definitely prefer 70-75 but are sweltering at near 80. None of us are sleeping very well the past several days. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, ARMYVET said:

I live in South Florida...mid 90's is a daily occurrence here for months on end with a humidity of 60-70 percent.  We developed gills long ago...LOL 

🤣 I love it!

You can keep the heat and humidity in FL @ARMYVET!!  Us northerners are much happier in our insulated boots and parkas, having to snowshoe our way through the blizzahd to dunks for coffee...  We know how to HEAT things, but we suck at cooling them, hahaha!

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Maggie said:

This heat wave is a BEAST in Maryland. My central AC broke and I'm using a portable unit which is not able to keep up with temps in the mid-90s for days on end. Inside the house it has been up to 88 degrees from mid-afternoon to late at night. I've unplugged the aquarium heaters and aimed fans at them with tops up, but they're still getting probably uncomfortably warm and there isn't much I can do. I am most worried about the danios, who definitely prefer 70-75 but are sweltering at near 80. None of us are sleeping very well the past several days. 

Ugh!  Sorry to hear you're suffering through it as well @Maggie...  We aren't sleeping well either.  My upstairs hallway is currently registering at 95 degrees...  The bedrooms have window AC's so that does help!  Looking forward to the cool down!

Hope you & your danios get some relief soon!  

8 minutes ago, Sal said:

🤣 I love it!

You can keep the heat and humidity in FL @ARMYVET!!  Us northerners are much happier in our insulated boots and parkas, having to snowshoe our way through the blizzahd to dunks for coffee...  We know how to HEAT things, but we suck at cooling them, hahaha!

Yeah...you remember you said that when your digging out your driveway after it snowed last night....the roads are slick with black ice and a 20 car pile up all the while Im sitting on the beach drinking a margarita watching the hot babes walking by and my wife screaming at me for doing it😱🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, ARMYVET said:

Yeah...you remember you said that when your digging out your driveway after it snowed last night....the roads are slick with black ice and a 20 car pile up all the while Im sitting on the beach drinking a margarita watching the hot babes walking by and my wife screaming at me for doing it😱🤣

These are such facts, I can't even be mad.  🤣🤣

I’m in Maryland too and it’s so hot the chickens don’t want to sit to lay their eggs. They were walking around the yard screaming, they had to lay so bad. So I put a box fan and a wet towel in the window of the coop and locked them in there!

Ope, there’s the egg song! I guess I can go let one of them out. 😄

Edited by Hobbit
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

I meant to say “stocking should be NO problem” ... sorry

I figured @Fish Folk  Thank you!  

I love the term New English - it's so accurate!  😂. We really do speak another language here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

I’m in Maryland too and it’s so hot they don’t want to sit to lay their eggs. They were walking around the yard screaming, they had to lay so bad. So I put a box fan and a wet towel in the window of the coop and locked them in there!

Oh no @Hobbit  Poor chickens!!  

5 minutes ago, Sal said:

I figured @Fish Folk  Thank you!  

I love the term New English - it's so accurate!  😂. We really do speak another language here.

I remember visiting a friend in Boston named Tara. Her mom pointing out the front window, said what I later was informed to be, "Tara, park the car over there."

But all I heard was, "Taaaaah, paaaaaahk the caaaaah ovaaaaah thaaaaah!" 😆

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hobbit said:

I’m in Maryland too and it’s so hot the chickens don’t want to sit to lay their eggs. They were walking around the yard screaming, they had to lay so bad. So I put a box fan and a wet towel in the window of the coop and locked them in there!

Wait...this is a real thing?!?!?  Do the eggs come out hard boiled?!!🤣🤣

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

I remember visiting a friend in Boston named Tara. Her mom pointing out the front window, said what I later was informed to be, "Tara, park the car over there."

But all I heard was, "Taaaaah, paaaaaahk the caaaaah ovaaaaah thaaaaah!" 😆

😂  Don't forget where you pahked, sometimes it's wicked hahd to remembah, and make sure you don't put your cah keys in your khakis.  

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, ARMYVET said:

Wait...this is a real thing?!?!?  Do the eggs come out hard boiled?!!🤣🤣

Hahaha unfortunately no, we still have to hard boil them ourselves!

Chickens’ brains are very, very small. They short-circuit very easily. I imagine their thought process goes like this:

• Must lay egg! Should go to nest box.
  • It’s hot in here. Must leave coop.
  • Must lay egg! Should go to nest box.
  • It’s hot in here. Must leave coop.
  • etc

And yes, there’s definitely a “must lay egg!” squawk and a “I just laid an EGG!!” song. The smartest chicken also has a “I would like to register a complaint” sound that she makes when they’re out of food or she wants me to change the weather. 😆

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1