I'm not an experienced fish enthusiastic, I'm struggling with plants, light and algae. I planted the aquarium 6 month ago, the plants were doing great, but  starting having issues with hair algae. I lower the light intensity and the plants now almost died.  The light are ON 5 hors a day. I had crytocoryne wendtii green, they were doing great, now they are just few small leaves.

Just bought new plants, easy iron, easy carbon and easy green. I also have root tabs. I change water every week.

Any suggestion on what to do?

Thank you

I had the same problem but i think it might have something to do with the amount of nutrients in the water because from what ive heard light plus excess nutrients will create algae problems.Maybe lower the amount of feeding for the fish im not sure but you can try.

Hi Ivan, welcome! I’m sorry you’re having algae problems. I struggle with it also. It sounds like you’re on the right track with lowering the light, but maybe you went to far in the other direction. I’d try adding an hour or two. 
Here’s my formula for algae control that I’ve learned mostly from Aquarium Coop. 
-Use a clean up crew. I use Otocinclus Catfish and Amano Shrimp.                          
-Use a good fertilizer so the plants will grow fast and out-complete the algae.      
-Adjust your light intensity and duration if you begin to see algae or if the plants aren’t growing. 
-Aquarium Coop Easy Carbon will help you get a start on killing a heavy growth of algae. 
-Mechanicaly remove as much algae as possible. Some plants like Anubias can handle a light scrubbing with a soft toothbrush. 

Hello

Thank you for all the answers. I'll try to respond to everybody questions.

• I have the light on a timer, I have schedule 1 hour at noon, for me to see it at lunch time, and then 4 hours at night.
  • I try to change water every week, but some time do it every 2 weeks. Every water change I add API LEAF ZONE. Once a month I add Root tabs.
  • I don't have now water parameters, will check today and replay back.
  • I don't have shrimps because I'm not sure they will survive. I have a Black Skirt Tetra that I think will eat them. I can try though.
  • I have two Plecos bristlenose
  • The lights I have have 5 intensity levels, I have been playing with them, haven't found the ideal combination. NICREW ClassicLED Gen 2 Aquarium Light
  • I just started yesterday using Aquarium Coop Easy Carbon.
  • I use a toothbrush and my hand to remove as much algae as I can.

I attached 3 pictures, one is when the plants looked great, other with the algae and other from yesterday.

Thank you

algae.jpg

best.jpg

current.jpg