Calcium supplement for shrimps?

Karen B.

I have neocaridina shrimps (blue dream in one tank, orange sakura in another). I have noticed few deaths lately where a white line appears where usually the shell breaks to allows a shrimp to molt so I think I may have a calcium problem?

I tested my kh/gh with Cory’s test strips and I get 0 kh and 300 gh. The API drops says about 3kh and 11gh.

My tanks are planted, cycled, ph of 7.6, temp between 75 and 78, 0/0/20. Weekly WC and syphoning of the gravel. The blue dream are species only, the orange are with clown killifish. I use cuttlebone but I heard Cory say he doesn’t like using it in one of the livestream.

So I was wondering what are the other options? I know some pet stores have some block in shape of a turtle.. are these good? Or any other options?

Wondershell + Equilibrium for multi mineral boost, api liquid calcium + epsom salt( calcium magnesium and conditioner is what wonder shells actually are) use both methods successfully. I have also used Kent’s liquid calcium but it is more expensive in my area so I go api. Tried dr turtle calcium blocks but they shot my ph from 7.6 - 8.4 in 48 hours. I was unsure of the dose so it was probably operator error with that one. 

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

You can try feeding Crab Cuisine, which is a pellet food supplemented with calcium, available in many box stores. You can also mix powdered Tums tablets in with Repashy food. 

To raise your Kh, try putting crushed coral into your tank. If you have a HOB filter, simply place a pouch of it inside; I use panty hose, cut and tied off. If not, you can sprinkle it on top of your substrate, or dig a hole into the gravel and bury some if you don't like the white color. Over time, the coral will erode from water flow, and add minerals into your tank.

• Like 4

On 6/8/2021 at 5:28 AM, aquachris said:

There are many "hacks" I've heard and tried with mixed success (crushed egg shells, tums, etc), but overall generally have less rings of death like that.

I see using Tums suggested a lot in multiple online forums.  A couple of things to consider:

* Tums contain artificial flavors and sweeteners - specifically sucralose marketed as "Splenda".

* Tums contain FD&C dyes

Both of these substances are:

* Not something that anyone would recommend (or likely condone) dumping into an aquarium under any other circumstances than it being already combined into a tablet for human consumption.

* Not without controversey of possible ill long term health effects in humans at prolonged and/or high dosages.  When you adjust for the size of fish/snails/shrimp vs humans,  they will be injesting doses literally millions of times more than those approved for humans. 

I've noticed that nearly every drugstore that sells Tums also sells pure Calcium Carbonate powder without other additives well (often in the "health supplements" section) and that it's cheaper than Tums.  Food for thought.

Edited by NanoNano
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NanoNano said:

I've noticed that nearly every drugstore that sells Tums also sells pure Calcium Carbonate powder without other additives well (often in the "health supplements" section) and that it's cheaper than Tums.  Food for thought.

Nice, I'll go look for some!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I swear by Kat's Aquatics calcium supplement/food.   My shrimp love it and it doesn't cloud the water. Other than a few fresh veggies it's all I feed my neos and I have babies in every tank!!   Excellent product!!!!!💕🦐