Planted new 29 Galleon Tank - thoughts or comments?

Got all my plants in, did a Hydrogen Peroxide dip, let them rest in a bucket of water for a day, treated them to an alum soak and finished setting up the tank.  Two bags of eco-complete topped with black gravel and some rinsed dragon stone.  The base of the tank is eggcrate with some dense foam under the large rocks - partially to raise the stones and  to keep plants from rooting under them if I want to redecorate.  Planted Java Ferns, Amazon Sword, dwarf Sagittaria, Cryptocoryne lucens, Pogostemon stellatus octopus, Valisneria and various Anubias.

IMG_0781w.jpg.931576adcbb02e16e205f58801563115.jpg

The POS and Valisnaria looked a little worse for wear when they arrived compared to everything else.  One of the POS stems melted and died the rest came back and is growing well.  The Valisnaria died back to the gravel but there are a few green shoots so I am not giving up all hope.  About half of the dwarf Sagittaria has melted the rest is still green.  I will have to wait and see if any comes back.

IMG_0804w.jpg.f02e9decea0ba120dad4f2a62eef5ca5.jpg

Added some American Frogbit at the one week mark.  That doesn't seem to ship well as 1/2 were essentially DOA and did not recover.  The survivors are shooting out roots and new leaves though.

Started the fishless cycle off using Fritz Fish Fuel and bacteria.  Started off by adding Easy Green (3ml), Easy Iron (3ml) and easy Carbon (3ml) once a week after water change.  Ammonia went to zero but my NO3 (40) and NO2 (10) are rather high still.  My KH dropped to 80 after the water change but my GH is extremely hard (300).  My tap water GH is 150. 

Lighting is a Fluval 3.0.  Total light is 10 hours. One hour sunrise, 7 hours at 50% (no blue), 2 hour sunset.  Room has no natural sunlight but indirect lighting can be on for a few additional hours every now and then.

Could GH be this high just from the fertilizers?  Think my lighting is to high or too low? 

Thoughts or comments welcome,

Tom

• Like 8

My last tank (way back in early 2000's) was an extremely high tech setup with lots of light, CO2 and hand mixed ferts - very fast growth.   Maintenance though was too high after a few years given my work schedule.  This is a restart for an 'easy' tank.  I just need more patience I think.

I should mention the american frogbit has exploded in growth. Adding new leaves, clusters and now was 6 inch roots.

Edited by tnnlynch

On 6/7/2021 at 9:40 PM, tnnlynch said:

Got all my plants in, did a Hydrogen Peroxide dip, let them rest in a bucket of water for a day, treated them to an alum soak and finished setting up the tank.  Two bags of eco-complete topped with black gravel and some rinsed dragon stone.  The base of the tank is eggcrate with some dense foam under the large rocks - partially to raise the stones and  to keep plants from rooting under them if I want to redecorate.  Planted Java Ferns, Amazon Sword, dwarf Sagittaria, Cryptocoryne lucens, Pogostemon stellatus octopus, Valisneria and various Anubias.

IMG_0781w.jpg.931576adcbb02e16e205f58801563115.jpg

The POS and Valisnaria looked a little worse for wear when they arrived compared to everything else.  One of the POS stems melted and died the rest came back and is growing well.  The Valisnaria died back to the gravel but there are a few green shoots so I am not giving up all hope.  About half of the dwarf Sagittaria has melted the rest is still green.  I will have to wait and see if any comes back.

IMG_0804w.jpg.f02e9decea0ba120dad4f2a62eef5ca5.jpg

Added some American Frogbit at the one week mark.  That doesn't seem to ship well as 1/2 were essentially DOA and did not recover.  The survivors are shooting out roots and new leaves though.

Started the fishless cycle off using Fritz Fish Fuel and bacteria.  Started off by adding Easy Green (3ml), Easy Iron (3ml) and easy Carbon (3ml) once a week after water change.  Ammonia went to zero but my NO3 (40) and NO2 (10) are rather high still.  My KH dropped to 80 after the water change but my GH is extremely hard (300).  My tap water GH is 150. 

Lighting is a Fluval 3.0.  Total light is 10 hours. One hour sunrise, 7 hours at 50% (no blue), 2 hour sunset.  Room has no natural sunlight but indirect lighting can be on for a few additional hours every now and then.

Could GH be this high just from the fertilizers?  Think my lighting is to high or too low? 

Thoughts or comments welcome,

Tom

Nice! Lights will find balance over time. 10 hrs is reasonable. Because I run longer photo periods, I mute lights more.

Looks like an Eheim heater maybe? How warm are you keeping this tank? Any particular fish stocking plans?

• Like 1

I am aiming for 75 degrees.  From my temperature controller and digital thermostats, it is varying by about 2-3 degrees during the day.  Plans for CPD, Leopard Danio, Cherry Barbs and Corys.  Amano shrimp, nerite/mystery snails and possibly a hillstream loach as an algae crew.  Cycle seems to be establishing well with ammonia ->N02 -> NO3 and being consumed.  Leopard Danios and snails will probably be the first in. Extremely hard water from the tap so that might limit some choices.

Edited by tnnlynch

On 6/12/2021 at 3:37 PM, Lauren A said:

Hi, @tnnlynch Your tank looks so pretty!  I know that Dragon Stone can raise Gh levels.  I’m not sure if this is the case with your setup.  It also might just be a matter of your tank still establishing itself.  

Good luck!  Looks great!  

The dragon stone could be adding to the GH. Since it's on the edge of 150 moving to 300 from the tap it's hard to know.

@tnnlynchThat would be my guess but it is hard to say.  I always experienced the opposite issue in my betta tanks because my tap water is soft and the substrate I use further softens the water.  

I did a little reading up on dragon stone since I’ve never used it and it definitely can raise Ph and Gh.  Maybe someone else with more knowledge on dragon stone and hard tap water.  They might offer help lowering these levels.  

Sorry I’m not more helpful!  Good luck with this though.  

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, tnnlynch said:

I am aiming for 75 degrees.  From my temperature controller and digital thermostats, it is varying by about 2-3 degrees during the day.  Plans for CPD, Leopard Danio, Cherry Barbs and Corys.  Amano shrimp, nerite/mystery snails and possibly a hillstream loach as an algae crew.  Cycle seems to be establishing well with ammonia ->N02 -> NO3 and being consumed.  Leopard Danios and snails will probably be the first in. Extremely hard water from the tap so that might limit some choices.

@tnnlynchGreat choice of fish!

• Like 1