Scarlet Temple in a Low Tech Tank

Hi friends!

I'm trying to love stem plants...and, I thought I'd give scarlet temple another go. 🤞

It's going in the highest light portion of my tank - smack dab in the middle of driftwood island.  Should I let it float or stay in the planter for a while before I actually stick it in the substrate?  Or, any other tips for the low techie?  I've got the entire Easy line...so I could increase any of those ferts pretty easily!  Or even increase lighting.

Edited by Betsy
  • Like 1

In my experience you’re on the right track. I have it in a tank with a budget light, but it’s right under the light, at about 17-18” depth and the light is set at max power. It’s growing but clearly wants to get closer to the light, it’s leggy with long nodes. I planted it directly in  substrate that consists of sand capped aquasoil. I dose easy green according to the medium light instructions with a few extra squirts for good measure. 
It’s about two months old and doing ok-good. I’ve trimmed and divided the tops and replanted once. The upper growth is looking better than the bottom. After it doubles again do another round of trimming. 

• Like 2

@Patrick_G - I'm considering making it a total experiment and planting half today...and floating half for later.

The stems I have are all about 6 inches tall, and I'm completely expecting the bottom leaves to melt because it's so dark on the inside of the driftwood circle...but all the shrimp live in there, so it might be a good snack!

I need to update my journal post about the pink flamingo crypt!  It's already trying to spread...which is awesome!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Betsy said:

@Patrick_G - I'm considering making it a total experiment and planting half today...and floating half for later.

The stems I have are all about 6 inches tall, and I'm completely expecting the bottom leaves to melt because it's so dark on the inside of the driftwood circle...but all the shrimp live in there, so it might be a good snack!

I need to update my journal post about the pink flamingo crypt!  It's already trying to spread...which is awesome!

I agree, it can’t hurt to float it. I’m sure I’ve lost some stem plants from planting them to deep or to soon. 

• Like 2

Quick update: The floater melted and sank within a few days...but the planted stems seem to be maintaining!

1725013021_Screenshot2021-06-129_41_12AM.png.f265928fab54f0aed80dd761da3aa487.png

Now that school is out for summer (well...one more day...gotta clean my room!), maybe I can finally work on balancing my tank and attack that brown/black algae stuff...haha! 

• Like 2