Clamped Fins on Betta?

Skepticarcher

My betta (Hue) has what I believe are clamped fins. I’ve tried various medications, including the med trio. I had salt in the water at a low amount (less than a teaspoon per gallon) for awhile but there was no real measurable improvement, no surprise. I did notice, if I didn’t add salt his fins would begin to clamp to the point of tearing. It’s most noticeable in his dorsal fin and the top of his tail. I found the co op’s article about salt and have tried both levels 1 and 2. I’m a little scared to try level 3, a tablespoon per gallon sounds like a lot. I’m new to the hobby, Hue is my first betta and the first fish I’ve been the sole keeper of. I want to do right by him but I’m concerned I may be completely off the mark with his health, but since I’ve had him his dorsal fin has never opened fully and often looks like a sad tattered flag when he lifts it. I guess my questions for the more experienced minds out there are, can bettas really handle 1 Tbs per gallon of salt? Thoughts on his fins? Can I keep live plants with him if I’m not concerned about losing them to salt? I would prefer he has some enrichment while being treated. Last one is how often do you change water when treating with salt? Thank you to anyone who read this.

8052DF4A-2086-48BC-BDF6-3698991C8B4B.jpeg.02a38622546dfa41ff6595d36e433c2a.jpeg302214246_Copyofbetta.jpeg.14b1faab3c764951e5f9c4ffb67221d2.jpeg

• Administrators

Clamped fins is a sign of stress. I'd guess this betta just has too long of fins for it to support and keep erect. Clamped fins typically refer to the pectoral fins, then the dorsal, then keeping the tail closed as well. Basically a signs to consume no energy while fighting off poor water quality usually. I'm not sure that's what is going on here. What are your water parameters?

26 minutes ago, Cory said:

Clamped fins is a sign of stress. I'd guess this betta just has too long of fins for it to support and keep erect. Clamped fins typically refer to the pectoral fins, then the dorsal, then keeping the tail closed as well. Basically a signs to consume no energy while fighting off poor water quality usually. I'm not sure that's what is going on here. What are your water parameters?

Currently:

ph: 8.2

ammonia: 0ppm

nitrite: 0ppm

nitrate: 0ppm