Aqueon 40gal Breeder, HELP !

GGobblin

Just filled my Aqueon 40gal Breeder that I bought from Petco and noticed the front glass is bowing out in middle. This brand does not use a center brace.

Tank was leak tested, back painted. Only after adding the Aqueon glass canopy did I notice the gap between the canopy and frame when looking down from top. I ran a 4ft level across the front glass, left to right, sure enough, the middle bows out over 1/8".

I did same test on my Marineland 75gal, has brace, and glass is straight after 2 years.

My stand is perfectly level left to right and less than 1/16" off front to back, (leaning toward back, very slightly). It makes full contact with the solid top of the stand. Stand by itself measures same with a level. So I figure this amount outside of perfect is a non issue.

I've never had anything over a 20gal that does not have a brace. When looking around the net many say it's okay, others say no good. Most seem to say, if it didn't come with brace, it dies not need one. I think Marineland and All Glass make theirs with a brace.But not easy to find these in my area.

Not sure what to do. Tank is on a 2nd floor and a blowout would Not Be Good.

I know Aqueon 40 breeders are super popular, so for those of you that have them, please chime in.

Need help, can't proceed at this point and need to get fish in there, but not at the cost of a disaster.

Thank You

GG

• Like 1

Well I never noticed that myself until you mentioned it lol. I see what you mean now. There is indeed a 1/8" gap in the middle when looking down over top the versa top lid. I'm honestly not worried. It's had water in it for almost 3 months and no issues. Doing some quick research I've found that there are bow and warp tolerances. 1/8" on a 36" panel of glass is well within those tolerances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I called Aqueon. They say all their 40B do that, it's normal and fine.

I still don't love the idea, but am going to stick with.

In my opinion, if it bows, a center brace is needed. They are  probably just looking to cut costs. 

Thanks to all that have provided feedback.

GG

Aqueon (along with Tetra) produces the some of lowest quality tanks on the market.

This being said, I currently own 3 of them (2-6 gallon rimless cubes, and a 10 gallon standard that I use for plant grow out).  They are certainly inexpensive, but you certainly get what you pay for. 

Never again for me, no matter what the cost difference.

• Like 1

I have not come across a 40 breeder tank in my 30 plus years in the hobby that has a center brace. I haven't seen a tank under 48" that has one. I have several of the 40 breeder tanks running, some older All Glass Aquarium ones from before they became Aqueon and the newer Aqueon and they all have a slight bow to the front glass. 

When I was looking for 40 breeders...I went to the petco website and was reading about them and there were tons of 1 star reviews for the tank leaking.  Enough reviews that I didnt buy any even though they were 50.00 each.  I just dont think I would handle it very well to come home to 40 gallons of water on the floor and everything dead.  I guess Ill have to pay more for peace of mind.

@Daniel I love the size of the 40 breeder and want 10 of them for my fish room.  I just got a little worried when i started reading all of the leaking horror stories. I know that for every one that has a problem there are probably hundreds more that dont but it still stuck in my mind a bit. Maybe I should get one and give it a try and build up my confidence in it.

• Like 1

I mean everyone I know of with a fish room youtuber or otherwise uses mostly aqueon tanks. If they failed regularly I think we'd hear about it. Most people will only leave a review if they have a negative experience so online review tend to skew pretty heavily towards the negative. 

• Like 2

@ChefConfitI agree with the skewing statement but try being the person who read all of the negative reviews and still ordered one and it failed.  That is when you see the comments that say..."I should have listened to the reviews" 

I will say that I chose to hold off long before I was a member here and now having access to a lot better information is making me rethink about trying one.  Of course if it blows apart....Im blaming you...🤣   Just kidding!

• Haha 1