Hey,

I'm getting ready to house/ breed some platys in my 10 gallon! I'm also getting ready for the fluval 3.0 nano thats coming on Monday. My original plan was to not have a lid to begin with and possibly later get a glass lid. But I've heard many stories of platys jumping out of tanks. So my question is, would you consider them "jumpers"? I know all fish jump, but would you especially want a lid for these guys? Or do you guys think its fine if it goes lidless for the first few weeks to a monthish?

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, James Black said:

Hey,

I'm getting ready to house/ breed some platys in my 10 gallon! I'm also getting ready for the fluval 3.0 nano thats coming on Monday. My original plan was to not have a lid to begin with and possibly later get a glass lid. But I've heard many stories of platys jumping out of tanks. So my question is, would you consider them "jumpers"? I know all fish jump, but would you especially want a lid for these guys? Or do you guys think its fine if it goes lidless for the first few weeks to a monthish?

Thanks so much!

If I were going lidless, I’d want floating plants to cap the water surface. When startled, any fish may jump involuntarily. 

• Like 1

I would say yes, add a lid. At least at the beginning. I lost a platy when it jumped out of one of my tubs the first evening I had it. ☹️ I actually found it before it was crisped and it started to come back to life, but the next morning it was dead.

In my (limited) experience, fish tend to jump when they’re in a new environment. I lost two tetras to jumping within a week of getting them. Still, I didn’t put lids on my platy tubs because apparently I have to learn my lessons the hard way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

If I were going lidless, I’d want floating plants to cap the water surface. When startled, any fish may jump involuntarily. 

I have some amazon frogbit. Not a lot, but its growing every day. I did have a mysetery snail in there who ate a lot of it, but I've him back into my 40 breeder. Its covering a corner of the tank and starting to branch out the other corner.

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, James Black said:

I have some amazon frogbit. Not a lot, but its growing every day. I did have a mysetery snail in there who ate a lot of it, but I've him back into my 40 breeder. Its covering a corner of the tank and starting to branch out the other corner.

That would work great. 

I consider almost all fish to be potential jumpers.  The "egg crate" light panels sold at home improvement stores might be an inexpensive alternative to a glass lid.  Light, water and food will pass thru easily, and one $15 (USD)  panel will provide material for 4 lids, or other projects.

Egg Crate.jpg

• Like 2