Tri-Tail "Wakin?" Goldfish from Petco feeder tank!

GHSEZG

About a month ago I picked up 11 Goldfish from the feeder tank at Petco for my pond. I asked for Red and White (Sarasa type) and the 2 Apaches (red and black) that were in the tank, and was a bit disappointed in this nearly pure white one, but hey, they gave me 11 for the price of 10 ($2), so no complaints. I was growing them out some in an outdoor tub when I noticed this one has a triple-tail! Wakins are the genetic ancestors of all the fancy-double tail goldfish and is believed to have arose from a single mutation back in the 1596 when it was first mentioned in Chinese texts.  But mine has only 3 lobes to the tail not 4 like a true double tail Wakin.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms4360

Has anyone seen this before? I have been researching, but only finding information about "Wakins" with a double tail. Now I don't want to put it in the pond (which is a huge natural pond with ~50 other goldfish) as I probably would never be able to recover it. Maybe I should Aquabid it? Does it have more value than the $0.18 I paid for it? For now it will stay in the tub outside my door.

IMG_20210605_145027.jpg

IMG_20210605_144902 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Very cool find! *edit reread your post* unfortunately its just a fused tail wakin but either way a rare find, especially for a petco!

It certainly is worth more than 18 cents, however it is just a fused tail wakin its still considered a cull so many people on aquabid will not be interested

Will still make a beautiful and fantastic pet though!

Edited by GardenStateGoldfish

On 6/5/2021 at 6:35 PM, GHSEZG said:

About a month ago I picked up 11 Goldfish from the feeder tank at Petco for my pond. I asked for Red and White (Sarasa type) and the 2 Apaches (red and black) that were in the tank, and was a bit disappointed in this nearly pure white one, but hey, they gave me 11 for the price of 10 ($2), so no complaints. I was growing them out some in an outdoor tub when I noticed this one has a triple-tail! Wakins are the genetic ancestors of all the fancy-double tail goldfish and is believed to have arose from a single mutation back in the 1596 when it was first mentioned in Chinese texts.  But mine has only 3 lobes to the tail not 4 like a true double tail Wakin.

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms4360

Has anyone seen this before? I have been researching, but only finding information about "Wakins" with a double tail. Now I don't want to put it in the pond (which is a huge natural pond with ~50 other goldfish) as I probably would never be able to recover it. Maybe I should Aquabid it? Does it have more value than the $0.18 I paid for it? For now it will stay in the tub outside my door.

IMG_20210605_145027.jpg

IMG_20210605_144902 (2).jpg

When I use to breed ryukin, you'll get this tail ever now and then. Its a single at the top and double at the bottom with no split.

Pretty cool looking but I never have enough room for more goldfish project lol so they got culls/sold off

• Like 1

There used to be a pet shop in Vineland NJ called Chick and Barb's that sold very interesting feeder goldfish. You'd find culled fancy goldfish as feeder fish. Either they or their supplier bred goldfish and sold the culls for feeder fish. There would often be a shortage of regular feeder goldfish, but you could always get some there. On more than a few occasions a feeder fish would make it's way to my pond or a tank as it was too pretty to use as a feeder goldfish. You never know what you'll get as a "feeder" fish.