Hi! New to the hobby.

Suku

Hi everyone!

I live in Birmingham, Alabama (US) but born and raised in India. I started the hobby just four months ago. Below are some pics of my 30 gallon. I just bought ANOTHER 30 gallon that's in the midst of its first nitrogen cycle.

tank_30g_v1.jpg

Tank History:

This current tank has a lot of plants that seem to be doing well. I have java ferns, elodeas, amazon sword, anubias, cabomba and a water lily.

Below is my fish list:

MVqrfJ898gFT_X_Mk0DR5fe5Fc0NQBhbC4Yeb0zeOLVyM3sMFNvHe9SCbohdCeqgzG1ExAH0AOGcIKkf-g7ljFsBvYvZTn9KY2_ngAIT-FOqaSg-equYaihv3cjpRRg6dXq_bOy6CazixoyI58_lwq2KABPj6VAxY-HElO-Or62lh0VQ-CJNB4bSjCaiY2c-OEJdMojtN32umU4XhsxiLSsh3gC_4SGTpYoYkCZ_Nk41ejHI27xduxB6UFls1LiElKNIdQN1teJBm1zjfvMlVWbZYpy420LEPAHb1SR143uH2l1peQV63HOga3cAaskriM4y0WjIFnHgGePJcMcUY5mOIQAnUSfKVjmfZLo-lH-Bc4NVjMZHnVmIWG7y13c96Q8Ez2Ky90tTUDg3z1OuHx9NsT4H08vI1b1uM8KUomi9uWl7t-0gUIIqJy3KzFEArYiWLc7egrecWv-nL8hozn-CQvpFq4252AGBxElXvahqW_e5WfrJ5zeUldigfEbu55OVkpOosTZK1iJkZgaPSZOONbnt6sgmSB7BXV55JfZs1OHKLGs35hzpBI0xC08PCT5TCH3oCbDBXWYhtaka1rERBNI7AvKYr-KJc6fPMNiXDHLORqufVt0htMq-TcPT8g56Ai38UHUMY1AN3S3KVGhG-q2EOxOiJaq8EBY1F5JwYmQoKTg1r9ui2rDFMcM=w550-h190-no?authuser=0

Unfortunately, two of my guppies died within the past week. The three remaining guppies are inactive and just float in a dark corner of the tank. I have no idea why 😞 My parameters are great and I do 50% PWCs every week.

I've also had two snails die because they got stuck in the intake tube of my Aquaclear HOB filter. I've fixed the issue since.

Anyway, I've also had snail eggs and cory eggs laid in the tank but haven't produced any hatchlings because I have no idea how to take care of them.

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you all like the pics

cory_albino_pascal.jpg

cory_bronze_fam.jpg

cory_eggs.jpg

fancy_guppy_male_del.jpg

mystery_snail_func_and_golang.jpg

mystery_snail_joomla.jpg

neon_tetras_fam.jpg

snail_eggs_go.jpg

Edited by Suku
Thumbnail edit
  • Like 2

Are you using any kind of water treatment when you do the water changes and what are your parameters before you change water? You may not need to do water changes as much or as often. Try cutting the water changes to 20% and do them say every other week and see how the fish react.

20 hours ago, Paul said:

Are you using any kind of water treatment when you do the water changes and what are your parameters before you change water? You may not need to do water changes as much or as often. Try cutting the water changes to 20% and do them say every other week and see how the fish react.

I'm using API's Stress Coat. My water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10-20 ppm nitrates before a water change.

I assumed since I'm kinda overstocked (31 fishes + snails in 30 gallon) that I would have to do 50% water change once a week.

1 hour ago, Alison said:

Lovely tank and welcome to the hobby. I am pretty new myself. I just set of mu first tank in over a decade this summer and I'm having a really good time so far. The only problem is I underestimated how addictive fish are. 

Thanks! Yeah, I feel the same way. If I had the budget, I'd be setting up another tank right now!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Suku said:

I'm using API's Stress Coat. My water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and about 10-20 ppm nitrates before a water change.

I assumed since I'm kinda overstocked (31 fishes + snails in 30 gallon) that I would have to do 50% water change once a week.

Your numbers are fine. 

56 minutes ago, Suku said:

Thanks! Yeah, I feel the same way. If I had the budget, I'd be setting up another tank right now!

Ooomg me too. I've already put a lot into my 15 gallon. I really want some more but I'm going to have to save a bit more before I do that. I am also slightly hesitant because I know I will be moving in a couple years and the thought of moving a half dozen tanks of various sizes makes me anxious lol. I would like a couple 20s and maybe one larger like a 50-75g for rainbow fish.