Is it cycled

Rudles

Thinking it's finally cycled. 
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 80 ppm
I would assume that a water change is in order. This is a 29 gallon tank. What next? If a water change is in order what percentage?

The Nitrates are a little high so yes I would do a waterchange before adding fish.

Luckily your water isnt too green yet so I would just reduce the intenisty of the lighting and reduce the duration of the lighting to 8-10 hours. With reducing the lighting as well as doing a waterchange the green water should be gone.

As far as how much water to change, I would try to get the nitrates as low as 20ppm. So maybe a 50% waterchange. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lefty o said:

id be more inclined to do 30%, then in 4-5 days, another 30%.  especially on a newly cycled tank.

That sounds good. I'd rather err on the side of caution. Right now I have one Angelfish, probably about 5 years old, one Bronze Corydora about 4 years old and 7 juvenile Siamese algae eaters. 

Did you ever test prior to now? If everything started at zero and you didn’t dose a bunch of fertilizer it probably is cycled.

I typically use test strips every other day when setting up a tank. I don’t worry about the ppm on anything so much as looking for a reading of ammonia and nitrite. I had one tank a week ago that ended up with really low nitrate after the others went to zero, sprinkled some Fritz powdered ammonia to see how fast it would go away and it didn’t stall. The nitrite never got very high on that tanks readings compared to others I’ve done. The powder was consumed in 36 hours and I saw it go through on both ammonia and nitrite from some to none.

I done what I thought would be a 35% water change but due to my deep substrate ended up being a 50% water change. I am going to get my diy co2 system up this afternoon. If all goes well I plan to move two of my juvenile Siamese algae eaters over from my 20 high.

20210606_070236.jpg

1 hour ago, Rudles said:

I done what I thought would be a 35% water change but due to my deep substrate ended up being a 50% water change. I am going to get my diy co2 system up this afternoon. If all goes well I plan to move two of my juvenile Siamese algae eaters over from my 20 high.

20210606_070236.jpg

SAE's are a tough fish, good first ones in a tank.

• Like 1