Cherry Barbs/Tank cycled?

Jeannie

Hello Everyone,

I have two questions. I went to my LFS yesterday and bought five more cherry barbs to add to the five I already have as I've heard they like to be in a group, bigger the better apparently. So, I have three males, seven females to keep the ratio balance. I told the guy in LFS I had a 100L tank, I think that's 26 US gallons. He told me my tank was big enough for them, now I'm not so sure, I also have five Zebra Danios in the tank. What do you guys think about this? I have lots of real plants and hiding spots in the tank. I'm not planning on adding anymore fish, apart from a bottom feeding fish to help with food deposits and algae. Any suggestions there on what type?

Also, I think my tank must be cycled even though it's only been running for 23 days now. I used the Fritz Zyme 7 BB, lots of live plants, I have gradually added my fish, my last cherry barbs went in two weeks ago, as my water tests have consistently tested 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and about 10 to 20 ppm Nitrate. I've tested almost daily. I have nice algae now growing in my tank which I've heard is a good sign. I know my tank isn't seasoned or anything that takes way longer 6 months I've heard. I'm just wondering why I've never seen an Ammonia or Nitrite spike, I guess the BB and plants have done their job.

Obviously, now I've added my new fish yesterday I will closely monitor the water, and the fish, I can't quarantine my fish I just don't have a spare tank or the room for one, my smaller 25L still has my shrimp in it and three kitty tetras. But I go to LFS who's tank's are very clean and no dead fish, so fingers crossed my all my fish stay healthy. 

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts about the Cherry barbs or tank Cycle.  Thank you.