ND1990

I’m starting to get little holes in my Hygrophila. Low tech tank and I’m dosing Easy Green along with seachem root tabs. I was reading that is usually a K problem. I’m no expert, but I don’t see that on easy green? Or I’m misinformed on the label. If it doesn’t provide it, what can I get that has it? 

Edited by ND1990
  • Like 1

Not a great plant-problem diagnostic here, but for plants that the Co-Op sells, there’s usually helpful tips under its listing on the sales side of the website. Hygro, however, is not listed. It’s actually illegal to sell in many states. It takes over in the wild too easily.

This chart is a basic diagnostic chart that deals with many of the most common ailments.

E2432839-AF74-4618-A8CE-3489E2D53321.jpeg.62c5629b3ef7ce96155a457a162111af.jpeg

This video from Cory at Co-Op is excellent if you’ve never watched it before:

Potassium (if that’s your deficiency) can be supplemented by adding something like this as described...

D0EC0095-5F84-4F1C-A41F-400356C550FD.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Not a great plant-problem diagnostic here, but for plants that the Co-Op sells, there’s usually helpful tips under its listing on the sales side of the website. Hygro, however, is not listed. It’s actually illegal to sell in many states. It takes over in the wild too easily.

This chart is a basic diagnostic chart that deals with many of the most common ailments.

E2432839-AF74-4618-A8CE-3489E2D53321.jpeg.62c5629b3ef7ce96155a457a162111af.jpeg

This video from Cory at Co-Op is excellent if you’ve never watched it before:

Potassium (if that’s your deficiency) can be supplemented by adding something like this as described...

D0EC0095-5F84-4F1C-A41F-400356C550FD.jpeg

Thanks again for the info! I’ll also check the video out as well

1 hour ago, Isaac M said:

Hello @ND1990, Easy Green does provide potassium. It is on the label as “Soluble Potash” or K2O. 

How much are you dosing? What are the tank inhabitants? Do you have a picture of the aquarium? What are your nitrates? 

I’m dosing 8 pumps weekly for my 75 gallon. It’s definitely K problem, Nitrates are as expected 20-25PPM.

• Like 1

@ND1990 I would increase my dosing of easy green. Increase your dose slowly and pay attention to how your ecosystem reacts. You did not mention which hygrophila you have but most hygrophilas are fast growing plants so they serve as a great indicator. 

8 pumps of Easy Green will only give you a little more than 3.5 ppm of nitrates in your 75 gallon. So I think you can definitely add quite a bit more of Easy Green to your aquarium depending on the amount of plants you have. Easy Green also has a significant amount of potassium (around 2.6 ppm of potassium for 8 pumps in your 75 gallon) in it so it should address that issue quite well. 

I hope that helps! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Isaac M said:

@ND1990 I would increase my dosing of easy green. Increase your dose slowly and pay attention to how your ecosystem reacts. You did not mention which hygrophila you have but most hygrophilas are fast growing plants so they serve as a great indicator. 

8 pumps of Easy Green will only give you a little more than 3.5 ppm of nitrates in your 75 gallon. So I think you can definitely add quite a bit more of Easy Green to your aquarium depending on the amount of plants you have. Easy Green also has a significant amount of potassium (around 2.6 ppm of potassium for 8 pumps in your 75 gallon) in it so it should address that issue quite well. 

I hope that helps! 

hygrophila siamensis

• Like 1

@ND1990 yeah that is a very fast growing plant. I would increase my dosing. I would personally add a second day of dosing of another 8 pumps for a total of 16 pumps a week. Then after 2 weeks or so, observe the plants for any nutrient deficiencies. Then adjust based off of your observations.

The following link is helpful for diagnosing nutrient deficiencies. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/plant-nutrient-deficiencies

Here are some pictures. My light is just a basic hygger. There is almost no algae so I could try the double dosing after I increase it to around 10 per week. Just in case. Jungle val is new, just put in yesterday, looks beat up from shipping. 

80215463-4ABF-43EE-8992-77096B10C8B7.jpeg

9DA1BBCE-B477-48BF-81DE-37E2F5012426.jpeg

Edited by ND1990