Geo has messed up eye

AndyDyck

I bought the geophagus a few days ago and i noticed one of its eyes is messed up. The eye is sunken and cloudy, it almost looks diflated. It is swims around but tends to hang around in one area. It is eating but its seems more aggressive to the other fish in the tank. it may be a little more sluggish then the other fish but not by much.Its either a disease or a wound from when it was in the tank st the store, anyone know what it is?

20210603_213539.jpg

Edited by AndyDyck

Hi, it is my understanding that if it were a disease it would more often been seen in both eyes. My best guess is that the eye got injured if it's just that eye. I don't blame him/her for being grumpy towards the other fish and staying in one area (likely so they can defend themselves). For an eye injury, if that's what it is, best to make sure water stays super clean and keep an eye (haha) on them- what your concern would be is secondary bacterial infections due to the injury. You may need to treat with antibiotics if it gets that far. Most sites seem to say as long as the water is clean if it is injury it should clear up on its own. If it's an injury consider whether it happened in your tank- look for the bully OR the decoration/object that could have done it- that may have to be removed. 

I can kind of see what you mean by it being sunken, not sure if that's an injury it'd be something that could heal. Someone else might have a better answer than I do. 

Could also be genetics if it was that was their condition at the store. In which case I might come up with a clever pirate name. 

Hope this helps. 🙂 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi, it is my understanding that if it were a disease it would more often been seen in both eyes. My best guess is that the eye got injured if it's just that eye. I don't blame him/her for being grumpy towards the other fish and staying in one area (likely so they can defend themselves). For an eye injury, if that's what it is, best to make sure water stays super clean and keep an eye (haha) on them- what your concern would be is secondary bacterial infections due to the injury. You may need to treat with antibiotics if it gets that far. Most sites seem to say as long as the water is clean if it is injury it should clear up on its own. If it's an injury consider whether it happened in your tank- look for the bully OR the decoration/object that could have done it- that may have to be removed. 

I can kind of see what you mean by it being sunken, not sure if that's an injury it'd be something that could heal. Someone else might have a better answer than I do. 

Could also be genetics if it was that was their condition at the store. In which case I might come up with a clever pirate name. 

Hope this helps. 🙂 

This does help a lot, thanks. I know its from before it got into my tank because i saw it when i first pit it in. My guess it could have been another one of the geos or one if the delhezi bichirs it was in the tank with at the store.

Edited by AndyDyck

Ive also seen a little flashing and fish rubbing against rocks. I dont see any white spots so im guessing it may be flukes. I live in canada so med are hard to get but my lfs has a vet license and csn buy meds! What prazi pro treat flukes well? I did not see any para cleanse, if i did i would just use that.

48 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I did read that there are eye flukes, so if the fish have them that could be the issue with the eye.

Just did a little research and eye flukes make the eye swell and the eye on my geo is sunken so its not eye flukes.