Betta Quarantine Question with Ich (maybe)

K-Davis

My 1 year old Betta has a white cotton-ish area on his tail between the top and bottom fins.  He's does not act sickly, but is a little lethargic.  I used Pimafix for about a week and saw significant change, but his 10 gallon tank got quite murky.  Since I know it helped I want to put him in his own hospital tank away from the 4 ottos and plant life in the 10 gallon.  The fish bowl holds about 3 liters.  How much Pimafix is safe? Would 0.6 ml work?  I also have Super Ick Cure.  Would that be better?  Do I need to worry about the temperature before relocating him?   I also read aquarium salt with the medication would help, is this true?  Since he is as old as he is, I just don't want to hurt him and I will admit, I am a beginner at this.

Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, K-Davis said:

My 1 year old Betta has a white cotton-ish area on his tail between the top and bottom fins.  He's does not act sickly, but is a little lethargic.  I used Pimafix for about a week and saw significant change, but his 10 gallon tank got quite murky.  Since I know it helped I want to put him in his own hospital tank away from the 4 ottos and plant life in the 10 gallon.  The fish bowl holds about 3 liters.  How much Pimafix is safe? Would 0.6 ml work?  I also have Super Ick Cure.  Would that be better?  Do I need to worry about the temperature before relocating him?   I also read aquarium salt with the medication would help, is this true?  Since he is as old as he is, I just don't want to hurt him and I will admit, I am a beginner at this.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about your betta!

You need to diagnose whether this is Ich, or something else (e.g. fungus). Look at photos online of both ailments. Upload photos here. The forum is pretty good at helping out.

Pimafix is an “all natural” treatment for external fungal infections. My opinion is that it doesn’t always get the job done. However, it is pretty easy-going on fish, which has its own benefits.

I honestly hate the thought of treating in anything less that a 10-gal aquarium.

If it’s Ich, I’d recommend Ich-X. If it’s fungus, you can use API fungus cure. Both will stain your water. Ich-X will turn it blue. API fungus cure will stain it green.

If what you describe is a single patch of fuzzy whitish on him, it’s fungus. Ich will appear like white dots on fins and body.