Added two angels and four platies to first tank Saturday, lost an angel and other fish are clearly sick and distressed

sgjackson

Water params as of an hour ago:

• pH - 7.4
  • Nitrates - 5ppm
  • Hardness - 5 Gh
  • Nitrite - 0ppm
  • Ammonia - 0ppm
  • KH/Buffer - 3 Kh
  • Water Temperature - 80f

Started cycling my first tank about 6 weeks ago. 65 gallon with a Galapagos driftwood piece and some anubias/java ferns superglued to some seiryu rock and the wood. I added some crushed coral as I'd burn through all my buffer when cycling and had pH crashes - I've got one cup in a bag inside the filter, and one cup in a bag under the filter outlet. Last week it cycled, so I went and got fish on Saturday - 2 angelfish, 2 male platies, and 2 male variatus platies. One of the angels died today, and all the other fish are lethargic and not eating food. Issues have been escalating since Sunday, here's a fish-by-fish rundown:
- Striped angel: Ate voraciously and looked healthy until yesterday, when he was struggling to swim and hiding in either the corner or near the filter. This morning I found him stuck to the filter intake and, while he was still alive, he was unable to swim so I euthanized him.
- White angel with spot: Doesn't really eat much but swims around normally and will peck at plants/food. I've seen it eat a pellet or two before so I'm not super worried about it not eating. Noticed something that looks like a white spot on its fin when I filmed the video so now I'm worried about him.
- Yellow variatus platy: Skims the side of the tank and had a long, white, stringy poop come out of him on Sunday. I fed the tank with a couple of blanched peas on Monday, and he's been mostly active until last night, when he started hiding behind the log most of the time.
- Orange variatus platy: Was aggressive eater and looked healthy until last night, when he started having issues swimming strongly. He had a long, red, stringy poop today and now has a sunken-in stomach and is hanging at the top of the tank near the heater.
- Orange and black platy: Was a little aggressive day one, then became the first fish to behave strangely on Monday. Spends a lot of time at the top of the tank near the heater, will occasionally drift down near the log. Looks like he has trouble swimming or staying in place. Not as into eating as he was the first few days. Has also had a long, white, stringy poop.
- Orange and red platy: Hid the first day, and has been active and healthy looking until today, when he started to look much more lethargic.

I did not quarantine, but I've got a quarantine tank setup on the way and I ordered the trio of medicine from the Aquarium Co-op website. I've attached a video so you can see the tank and the fish that are still in it.

Edited by sgjackson

Your angelfish has red patches on it gills that can be caused by ammonia burn also if there hanging at the surface it could be low levels of desolved oxygen  with the  white stringy poop can be a sign of internal parasites  I would add an extra air stone and treat with paracleanse just in Case its parasites it can take 2-3 treatments 2weeks a part get rid of internal parasites

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Colu said:

Your angelfish has red patches on it gills that can be caused by ammonia burn also if there hanging at the surface it could be low levels of desolved oxygen  with the  white stringy poop can be a sign of internal parasites  I would add an extra air stone and treat with paracleanse just in Case its parasites it can take 2-3 treatments 2weeks a part get rid of internal parasites

The angel looked like that from the store. Pic the day I got it: image3.jpg.aef8d280105161f26afbdb5ebedbf29c.jpg

I think the internal parasites diagnosis is correct. The Angel may be of the blushing variety. If so, the redness is natural. It is a good idea to test the water often so that you can respond quickly to any ammonia/nitrite spike.

1 minute ago, HH Morant said:

I think the internal parasites diagnosis is correct. The Angel may be of the blushing variety. If so, the redness is natural. It is a good idea to test the water often so that you can respond quickly to any ammonia/nitrite spike.

I test water daily and keep the results in a spreadsheet, and also test when I see fish behaving weirdly (which means I test multiple times daily now). Since Saturday, I have seen one abnormal result - ammonia at .5ppm rather than 0 ppm on the 31st at 9pm. I put in a cap of Seachem Prime to detoxify it, and it was 0ppm again the next morning. It has stayed 0ppm since.

2 minutes ago, Colu said:

I would just add  medium size air stone or air driven sponge filter

I am very new to the hobby and would appreciate links to everything I need - want to make sure I get the best.

Orange and black platy and red variatus platy died last night. Angelfish is now visibly stressed with twisted fins, orange and red platy is incredibly lethargic. Yellow variatus platy is hiding but still eats and swims aggressively.

This is a bit morbid, but I'm wondering how I can ensure my tank is safe for future fish now. I've got a quarantine tank setup showing up today and an air stone and the quarantine trio meds are in the mail.

Edited by sgjackson

The surviving angel and variatus platy are looking MUCH better today after a gravel vac and 30% water change. Aggressive eating, fins unclamped. The angel has a white spot on one of his fins (ich maybe?) but he's acting better than he ever has post water change.

I've probably done 15-20 ammonia tests and 10+ nitrite/nitrate/pH tests in the past week and they consistently showed perfect results, so I am wondering if anything could have been in the water to cause issues that wasn't ammonia/nitrite/nitrate or if I was getting bad test results somehow. I regret not trying this earlier, as I know a water change wouldn't have hurt.

Edited by sgjackson

With the high tempertures of water the lack of oxygen does seem like it could be the reason why. I would quickly run out to the nearest pet store or fish store and get an air pump, air stone, and airline tubing. 

This is an airpump that I found on petsmart.com, check to see if its instock near you. I have used it with great sucess, all though it is a little loud. any will do for the airline tubing and airstone. Try to find some parasite remedy near you. Ussually I would reccemend to get the paraclense from aquariumcoop.com, but I dont think you have time to wait to order from them. So try to get paraclense in a big box store, or lfs.