Hardiness of Red Clawed Crabs ?

Rhino7

Hello I have a very important question about the hardiness of red clawed crabs, I went out of town and had an ammonia spike of 8.0ppt using the api test kit, their tank is about an inch of water with lots rock to get out of the water... I have conditions under control now and never lost one crab.. in curious to know if I should be expecting a die off down the rd from this stress etc or will they simply be fine from here out now that conditions are ok. I’m realizing they are bulletproof to fish apparently unless with me having plenty of land spaces obviously helped a lot.. any feedback would be great thx

Hi Rhino7, I agree with your thought, seeing that Red Clawed Crabs can spend at least half their time out of water- that is what saved you from losing any. Maybe if they went into the bad water they realized it (because ammonia burns) they spent very little time in it, and what time they did likely most parts protected by their exo. If you're going the brackish route and putting salt in their water that might have helped some.