the female convict at our store

yannachka

i just finished up monday’s livestream, the part where cory said that convicts get beautiful long fins if kept alone reminded me of the lone convict we have in the store. we don’t bring convicts in anymore and she’s the only one left.

E7C4BD1A-35D1-4D08-BCC4-804FEC7D4A45.jpeg.f098e81d27e23f16821e41247635f034.jpeg

just wanted to share what healthy convict fins look like! id love to bring her home, maybe i’ll get a new tank set up.

• Like 2

• Administrators

In my experience all Convicts get nice trailer fins. However they scrap when breeding so often that they don't grow out without a ton of space. When you see a "specimen" that has been kept alone, I'm always shocked at how good a full grown convict looks. 

we kept her with some cichlids for a short period of time, she ended up laying eggs. we saw her guarding them so we pulled the rest of the cichlids and left her with them (we were worried about aggression). we culled all of the fry since we didn't want unknown hybrids, she's been on her own since.

I dont think you would regret bringing her home 🙂 Convicts are so underrated. They are such intelligent fish with big personalities. I have a wet pet Convict. She's too hateful to coexist with anything else, but she loves attention from everything else. Like a puppy. Her nickname is Piggy. I found her at a Petco when I stopped in for Bloodworms. She was in a "mixed African cichlid" tank, so yeah I paid about $10 for a Convict. Seems silly, but she was worth every penny. 😍

20200916-170251.jpg