LEECHES

JerseyBundy

Hello to all.. So I had left the hobby for awhile. Once pandemic hit, I saw a few of Cory's videos and I was hooked.  Dusted my 10g and got it running.  Then I ended up with 2 more tanks. So now I have 10g,20g,36g. Then 10 and 20 are doing great. Had a issue with BBA but with timing the lighting right and manual cleaning and the addition of SAE . Everything is going well.  Not even going to talk about how I ended up with a bunch of oto fry in the 36g. So the 36 has been on hold until the fry get bigger.  So now that their finally a good size to add fish. I noticed leeches.  Like 6 of them😔. Now I have to deal with a leech infestation.  Yes I know some of you are ok with this because you aim to mimic the eco system.  But i just want to sit and watch my fish enjoy their home.  Leeches are ugly and I don't like them.  Plus I plan on breeding . Dont need the leeches to have a buffet of fry. I know I might have to tear the tank down.  But how the heck will I catch all those otos in a planted tank. Do I throw all the plants out and nuke the tank. I don't even know if I'm asking a question.  Lol. What else will go wrong.  

2 hours ago, JerseyBundy said:

Hello to all.. So I had left the hobby for awhile. Once pandemic hit, I saw a few of Cory's videos and I was hooked.  Dusted my 10g and got it running.  Then I ended up with 2 more tanks. So now I have 10g,20g,36g. Then 10 and 20 are doing great. Had a issue with BBA but with timing the lighting right and manual cleaning and the addition of SAE . Everything is going well.  Not even going to talk about how I ended up with a bunch of oto fry in the 36g. So the 36 has been on hold until the fry get bigger.  So now that their finally a good size to add fish. I noticed leeches.  Like 6 of them😔. Now I have to deal with a leech infestation.  Yes I know some of you are ok with this because you aim to mimic the eco system.  But i just want to sit and watch my fish enjoy their home.  Leeches are ugly and I don't like them.  Plus I plan on breeding . Dont need the leeches to have a buffet of fry. I know I might have to tear the tank down.  But how the heck will I catch all those otos in a planted tank. Do I throw all the plants out and nuke the tank. I don't even know if I'm asking a question.  Lol. What else will go wrong.  

Have some leeches myself, been thinking about getting a leech trap, not sure how well they work though:

https://www.ebay.com/i/363027983702?chn=ps&var=632151534972&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=632151534972_363027983702&targetid=934793861976&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9059139&campaignid=10897343920&mkgroupid=108910250562&rlsatarget=aud-622524042958:pla-934793861976&abcId=9300403&merchantid=101673363&gclid=CjwKCAjw74b7BRA_EiwAF8yHFKJwmyFDKQ0RoAphO4AxXAuAQQsyitgOAWuEAhTqozSljEoXj0235RoCbTgQAvD_BwE

4 hours ago, MattyIce said:

I just ordered this one on Amazon.  It will be here on Friday.  Hoping it works. Till then I guess I will keep a look out and keep plucking the ones I find. Will also make my own once I get a chance this weekend.  Might need one with bigger holes . 

Screenshot_20200916-212253_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Edited by JerseyBundy

Traps will get the big ones and control numbers... They really do work with the right type of bait.  There are harsher chemical treatments but they can kill some fish and snail species so, it's really dependent on the tank.  

• Thanks 1