Betta with swollen chest

Shaun

I have a male Betta living in a community tank that has a really swollen chest. It looks like he has swollowed a marble. Only noticed today. Tank is 20 gallons, heavily planted with 8 cherry barbs, 8 silver tip tetras and four siamese flying fox. 

Nitrates - 30ppm

PH - 7.4

KH - 3

GH - 6

Ammonia and nitrite at zero. Temp is 70 degrees. 

Last water changes was 4 days ago and no other recent changes to the tank. The betta has been in the tank for almost a year with no issues. 

For the last week, the tank has been fed baby brine shrimp, frozen brine, frozen daphnia and frozen blood worms. Baby brine in the morning and a frozen cube in the afternoon. 

I suspect bloating of some kind and have put him in a hang on isolation tank.

Any suggestions on treatment? 

Thanks, 

Shaun 

DSC_2219.JPG

Oh wow!  He looks super full!

If I were you, I wouldn't feed him for a few days and monitor.  I hear sometimes feeding peas can help if they're constipated...but I'm no expert!

I like to include some Spirulina flakes in my food rotation to make sure my fishos stay regular...doing something like that miiight help in the future?  But, again, not an expert!

I'm not going to repeat your food rotation near my tank...my fish would be very jealous! 😂

Wanted to check back in on you!  How's the patient?

I was rereading your post and noticed that your tank is 70 degrees Fahrenheit ...that seems a little cool.  If he's not improving, I would consider raising the temperature of his tank!  Is he usually active?  Or, is he usually more chill?  I think the very bottom end of their range is 72...I keep my community tank at 76.

Hope he's feeling better!!

Thanks Betsy - two days without food and still in isolation. His chest looks to be smaller than it was but still noticeably swollen. 

I think I'll try the pea and see if that helps. 

Regarding the heat, I think the heater is on the blink. The light comes on to say it is heating and it is set to 78 but thermometer measures 70. I bought a new heater today so will swap it out and see how it goes. 

Thanks for the link - just added half a pea as per the link and he ate it hurriedly! 

Saw another post about the same thing in a betta and they suggested meds and salt. I am in Australia so we have very few meds so am setting up an quarantine tank and will add salt and see how he progresses. 

No I don't think so. The scales around the bulge seem stretched but not pineconing. He's in a separate tank now with Epsom salt. Seems to be acting normal other than still enlarged. 

(images are upside down given how I was holding my phone!) 

DSC_2226.JPG

DSC_2224.JPG

Edited by Shaun

Hi Betsy - thanks for checking in! 

He still has what looks like a swollen chest but is otherwise acting normal. He seems healthy and is swimming about, even building a bubble nest, which he never did in the community tank - presume the flow was too high. 

DSC_2249.JPG.235756199956ec3c9080aba3b75ca257.JPG

I'll probably keep him in the qt tank for another week and see how he goes. 

• Like 3