Bubbles in Aqueon 55 seams

SunBearQ

Hi there, 

I just picked up a 55 gallon Aqueon tank from big pet store today and was in the process of leak testing it when I noticed that a lot of bubbles started to appear along one of the seams as the tank filled. This is the first tank that I have had do this so my automatic instinct is to return it. Before I lug it all the way back to the store I just wanted to get some advice on what others would do? 
Thank you for your help.

415D2CA4-E937-44F7-90CF-40FADB7E830D.jpeg.a7316ca34662300d4686b789b3fb4f41.jpeg0EEB6397-5530-438E-8C0D-FF904645020C.jpeg.9cf737c68425384afea202da693e2660.jpeg

Edited by SunBearQ
  • Sad 1

Thank you Yanni for your opinion. Apparently people have had it happen in Aqueon’s larger tanks (40 gal and up). When they contacted the manufacturer they got a reply back stating that it should not affect the integrity of the tank and that it is normal. Some just accept it and others have brought it back. Hoping the next one I pick up doesn’t have this problem…

Ugh. So I swapped it out and instead of one really worrisome seam I now have 3 medium ones 😑. Has anyone experienced this before with brand new 55 gallon Aqueon tanks? I usually buy Aqueon 20s and 10s and never have had this problem. I’m kind of at a loss at what to do now honestly. Be that annoying customer and swap it out yet again, return it and not get a 55 gallon by Aqueon or live with it?

94BEC407-DD38-4946-ADAB-7306BD847FF3.jpeg

F5B55133-1378-4D62-B4F8-F7F676D63DC3.jpeg

0A9E3820-A7E1-4007-A812-86250FAFF6A0.jpeg

This prompted me to grab a mirror and go look at the back seams of my recently filled Aqueon 55. Sure enough. Both back seams look like your second tank. [cuss cuss cuss]

I wouldn't risk the tank you have pictured.

I won't risk my new one either. Fortunately, I have a custom acrylic en route to my house right now. I'll just transfer the 55's stuff into it when it arrives. That was not my plan! But I'm so grateful you posted so I'd have a heads-up before there's water all over my floor. 

Aaargh for both of us. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SunBearQ said:

Ugh. So I swapped it out and instead of one really worrisome seam I now have 3 medium ones 😑. Has anyone experienced this before with brand new 55 gallon Aqueon tanks? I usually buy Aqueon 20s and 10s and never have had this problem. I’m kind of at a loss at what to do now honestly. Be that annoying customer and swap it out yet again, return it and not get a 55 gallon by Aqueon or live with it?

94BEC407-DD38-4946-ADAB-7306BD847FF3.jpeg

F5B55133-1378-4D62-B4F8-F7F676D63DC3.jpeg

0A9E3820-A7E1-4007-A812-86250FAFF6A0.jpeg

Yeah they can be pretty sloppy as they are mass produced and therefore have less quality control but I’ve never had and aqueon tank leak I will post some pics of mine I have a  55,29,10 all of witch are aqueons but some of my marine lands are also like that

• Like 1

Thank you CalmedByFish and Angelfishlover for your advice.

Sorry to hear that you are facing the same issue @CalmedByFish 😔. Totally envious of the custom acrylic. What size is it if you don’t mind me asking?

@Angefishlover are you saying that your Aqueon and Marineland tanks have the same bubbling? When you get a chance I would definitely be interested in seeing the pics of your tanks. It would be helpful for me to determine what to do. 

If anyone else has experienced this issue before I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

Edited by SunBearQ

13 hours ago, SunBearQ said:

@CalmedByFish 😔. Totally envious of the custom acrylic. What size is it if you don’t mind me asking?

Well, backstory would help the size make sense: I have a kid with special needs, which includes bouts of extreme head-butting. They even have to wear a helmet and other gear. I have to keep all my glass tanks (and other breakables) away, which means I can't easily see them, and can scarcely even own them at all. 

The tank will be 29 gallons, made of 1" thick acrylic. The man who made it for me said "you could park a truck on it." It could have been made 40 gallons, but I'm trying to have a tank that I'll be able to keep through the entire rest of my life, and I need to plan ahead for having an old body. 

Anyway, 29 gallons, footprint is 35x15". Once I take down my faulty new 55 gallon, that will forevermore be my largest tank... just out of necessity.

• Like 1

@CalmedByFishA 29 gallon was the first tank my wife allowed me to get. Little did she know the rabbit hole I would be sucked into 😂

One inch thick acrylic would definitely help with the circumstance you have. I am sure it must have been very stressful keeping a glass box of water. You are also smart to plan ahead for the future. With my rambunctious two boys my belongings tend not to last as long as they do anymore 😅

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and helping me properly tag Angelfishlover.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SunBearQ said:

Thank you CalmedByFish and Angelfishlover for your advice.

Sorry to hear that you are facing the same issue @CalmedByFish 😔. Totally envious of the custom acrylic. What size is it if you don’t mind me asking?

@Angefishlover are you saying that your Aqueon and Marineland tanks have the same bubbling? When you get a chance I would definitely be interested in seeing the pics of your tanks. It would be helpful for me to determine what to do. 

If anyone else has experienced this issue before I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

I have never had the bubble issues but I am saying that mine all have extra sloppy seams