Anyone keeping girardinus metallicus yellow?

Yanni

I recently got a trio of these yellow bellied livebearers and they are absolutely beautiful! I love they way they act and they are just great fish overall. The thing is that I can't find that much information on them. Are they like guppies or platies? They seem really cool and I'd like to try and breed them. I currently have them in a 20 gallon long with 4 venezualn corydoras (I am thinking about getting more), I also have 2 female bettas in the tank (only in there temporarily until I can set up their tanks, they haven't attacked each other at all and I've had them together for about 2 months), and an otocinculus. It is planted with ludgiwia repens, valisneria spiralis, dwarf hairgrass, some buce, and frogbit. I just have a couple questions, how many more corydoras can I put in (if I should put anymore in), and any tips on keeping the livebearers?  Also, are the females supposed to be like twice the size of the males. My male is like an inch while the females are like 2.5 to 3 inches big

IMG-2261.jpg

IMG-2262.jpg

IMG-2266.jpg

IMG-2267.jpg

5 hours ago, Yanni said:

I just have a couple questions, how many more corydoras can I put in (if I should put anymore in), and any tips on keeping the livebearers?  Also, are the females supposed to be like twice the size of the males.

A group of 10 would look pretty sweet in that tank, you can easily add 6 or more with the current bio-load.  

For size, yes the females will usually be larger sometimes much larger.

To me they look more like a guppy than a platty and it looks like your female may be on the way to producing fry.

Added this link

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/girardinus-metallicus/

Edited by KBOzzie59
  • Like 1

A group of 10 would look pretty sweet in that tank, you can easily add 6 or more with the current bio-load.  

For size, yes the females will usually be larger sometimes much larger.

To me they look more like a guppy than a platty and it looks like your female may be on the way to producing fry.

Nice! Thank you! I was really hoping I could add more of those corys cause they look amazing. Thanks for also telling me the females are supposed to be much larger. The females size compared to the males made them look like a different species or something