One of these things is not like the other?

So I was admiring my Betta and I noticed this weird film on one of my airline tubes, but not the other? Any idea what it could be?  I'm running two sponge filters so I can put one in my hospital tank when I set it up in the next couple of days. 

Also meet Pietro. He's got an attitude problem. 

PXL_20210603_005526637.jpg

• Like 1

Ahhh, lovely biofilm! 

I have no idea why there is film on one and not the other...do you have shrimp in that tank?  If so, they may have gotten to one and not the other...OR...which sponge filter setup is older?  It could be that if the clean one is newer, the biofilm just hasn't had a change to take over!

And, Pietro is a looker! 😍  He reminds me of Spritz.  I look forward to more pictures of Pietro!! 😄👍

• Like 3

I wonder if it has something to do with the flow of water in your tank?  Like, it can stick to that one tube better than the other?  I don't know, I'm making up crap here.

Pietro is super pretty!  I'd like to see more pics of him!  I am really new to bettas and I am in love with them.  Their nasty little attitudes and how they seem to always be saying, "You wanna take this outside, bruh?  You got something to say, bruh?" to snails and the water heater and a piece of floating water sprite... while looking like beautiful glowing little angels.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Just Renee said:

I wonder if it has something to do with the flow of water in your tank?  Like, it can stick to that one tube better than the other?  I don't know, I'm making up crap here.

Pietro is super pretty!  I'd like to see more pics of him!  I am really new to bettas and I am in love with them.  Their nasty little attitudes and how they seem to always be saying, "You wanna take this outside, bruh?  You got something to say, bruh?" to snails and the water heater and a piece of floating water sprite... while looking like beautiful glowing little angels.

I can do that. I am OBSESSED with him. 

PXL_20210512_021539813.PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20210508_220514_176.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'd say biofilm is a good thing!  It indicates that you've got beneficial bacteria present in your tank.  Here's a thread where the phenomenon is fully discussed!  (You are definitely not alone!)

All of my airlines have started out with some biofilm on them...my nerites will attempt to eat it and my shrimp will definitely eat it.

I hope you will give shrimp another go in the future!!  They're the best.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Betsy said:

I'd say biofilm is a good thing!  It indicates that you've got beneficial bacteria present in your tank.  Here's a thread where the phenomenon is fully discussed!  (You are definitely not alone!)

All of my airlines have started out with some biofilm on them...my nerites will attempt to eat it and my shrimp will definitely eat it.

I hope you will give shrimp another go in the future!!  They're the best.

I love them!  Maybe I can keep them alive now.  I'll put some in my 20L once it's cycled. I'm also convinced Pietro ate a couple 

41 minutes ago, CosmicAshhole said:

I rescued him from Petco. I have never seen any Betta like him. I realize now, now that I've been back in the hobby for a few months he's not actually special. But he super is to me. 😂

PXL_20210512_021459272.jpg

I think he's very striking.  I just bought a koi myself and the thing I love the most about them is their ability to just keep changing colors as time goes.  My koi looks very different from the one I saw online, because the stress of shipping apparently frequently causes them to change color.  They're like little living paintings.  My guy has some fin issues from shipping, which we're addressing right now but here's a pic of him from the other day.. sideways because I can't figure out how to change it.

clampedfin.JPG

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Just Renee said:

I think he's very striking.  I just bought a koi myself and the thing I love the most about them is their ability to just keep changing colors as time goes.  My koi looks very different from the one I saw online, because the stress of shipping apparently frequently causes them to change color.  They're like little living paintings.  My guy has some fin issues from shipping, which we're addressing right now but here's a pic of him from the other day.. sideways because I can't figure out how to change it.

clampedfin.JPG

He's so pretty! I love that blue 😍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ARMYVET said:

Wow all of your Betas look outstanding.  I think you all just made up my mind to do a beta tank.   I was thinking about it but Pietro and the blue koi just sealed the deal!!

I shall post pics soon

Looking forward to seeing it!  I actually had no intention of doing a Betta tank.  But I saw him and fell in love.  I'm glad I did because he's so fun

He's a looker for sure!! Keep us informed on any color changes! My koi plakat betta went from white, red and blue to almost entirely blue in 6 weeks! And now, the middle part of his tail fin is turning from darker blue to a lighter, almost turquoise color. Not sure why the last picture posts upside down, but here's his transition since February. 

20210214_180450.jpg

20210217_150206.jpg

20210226_130006.jpg

20210508_145251.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

You know when I got him from petco the cup said he was a "half moon king betta"... But he's absolutely a koi.  I have noticed his chin has changed some... it was SUPER pale before and now it's more orange.  He's been building a bubble nest like crazy recently. 

his first, i'm so proud of him lol 

• Like 1
  • Love 1