WCMM Vs. Medaka eggs?

GHSEZG

So I have Platinum Medaks and Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a spawning mop in a 100 gallon outdoor Rubbermaid tub. And there are eggs visible in the spawning mop. Any way to tell which eggs they are? How about if I separate them out and they hatch into fry? Can I tell them apart as fry? How old until they get big enough to tell apart? At what point will I be able to differentiate the species? Thank you for your input!

I have 2 types of mops. There are 3 floaters consisting of scrubbie pads cut into strips floating from a section of pool noodle. The other is a large yarn mop which inhabits the mid to bottom of the tank. The WCMM stay almost exclusively at the bottom and the Medaka are in the mid to top of he tub. The eggs were found in the yarn mop, so I am thinking they are more likely WCMM. I am hoping the medaka will deposit there eggs in the floating mops. The eggs are very small <1mm and a light yellow color. I just removed about a dozen into a small food container to observe.

7 hours ago, GHSEZG said:

So I have Platinum Medaks and Golden White Cloud Mountain Minnows and a spawning mop in a 100 gallon outdoor Rubbermaid tub. And there are eggs visible in the spawning mop. Any way to tell which eggs they are? How about if I separate them out and they hatch into fry? Can I tell them apart as fry? How old until they get big enough to tell apart? At what point will I be able to differentiate the species? Thank you for your input!

Sounds Exactly like my setup. How long did it take before you got eggs? Been trying for 2 months with my Platinum Medaks. I have 24 of them right now

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mako13 said:

Sounds Exactly like my setup. How long did it take before you got eggs? Been trying for 2 months with my Platinum Medaks. I have 24 of them right now

The WCMM have been in there for about 4 months and the Medaka for ~1month. It has been pretty cold until a heat wave in the last few days. The bottom of the tub is full of plants in terracotta pots with pebbles that the WCMM live amongst so I hardly ever see them. And if the WCMM are dropping eggs in amongst the pebbles and pots I would never know. And I had a bunch of floating plants, but I realized a few days ago I would never find the eggs with the floating plants so I removed most of them and added the mops. I only have 5 Medaka but there appears to be 2 males and 3 females. 

5 hours ago, WhitecloudDynasty said:

If you can see the eggs, most likely ricefish eggs. White cloud aren't sticky and will fall if you shake the mop

They were easy to pick out of the mop and dropped into the egg container easily. There were also a bunch of snail eggs which were way stickier. But I think you may be right because the eggs under magnification show no internal structure yet and Ricefish eggs are laid like that and develope eyes and other visible fry parts over a period of 1-2 weeks. But WCMM eggs hatch in 1-2 days so they must have visible fry in them when laid???

2 hours ago, GHSEZG said:

They were easy to pick out of the mop and dropped into the egg container easily. There were also a bunch of snail eggs which were way stickier. But I think you may be right because the eggs under magnification show no internal structure yet and Ricefish eggs are laid like that and develope eyes and other visible fry parts over a period of 1-2 weeks. But WCMM eggs hatch in 1-2 days so they must have visible fry in them when laid???

No they lay clear eggs also..it takes about 3 days before white cloud egg will hatch

On 6/2/2021 at 10:57 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

No they lay clear eggs also..it takes about 3 days before white cloud egg will hatch

I checked mop on a whim and found 1 egg, my first egg!

On 6/2/2021 at 8:46 PM, GHSEZG said:

The WCMM have been in there for about 4 months and the Medaka for ~1month. It has been pretty cold until a heat wave in the last few days. The bottom of the tub is full of plants in terracotta pots with pebbles that the WCMM live amongst so I hardly ever see them. And if the WCMM are dropping eggs in amongst the pebbles and pots I would never know. And I had a bunch of floating plants, but I realized a few days ago I would never find the eggs with the floating plants so I removed most of them and added the mops. I only have 5 Medaka but there appears to be 2 males and 3 females. 

PXL_20210605_014732560.jpg

• Like 2

I have been collecting eggs for 5 days now, getting 4-10 per day for a total of about 37. I am starting to see eyes! I am quite sure they are Medaka eggs. Who knows what the WCMM are doing down at the bottom of the heavily planted pea soup tub? I get glances of them frequently but there could be 1000's of fry down there and I would never know.

• Like 1

Awesome! Im seeing alot more Medaka eggs as well! I added 2 more mops to my 100 gallon tub. Also saw a fry swimming around my frogbit in the tub so im hoping there are more that I havent seen!

• Like 1