Fish that come in self breathing bags?

I ordered fish from Flip Aquatics. I ordered 5 Panda corydora (received 1 extra YAY) and 3 otto's (that is all they had left 😞) to add to my 2 existing in the 40 gallon breeder tank. 

Although I paid for the 1 day shipping, it suddenly got SUPER hot here in North Carolina (over 95 degrees' in May!) I was VERY concerned about my fish. When they arrived, I checked that they were all alive and doing well. I then floated them in the aquarium (as I usually do) put the timer on for 20 Min.. and began to read the information in the package. 

It said on the info card DO NOT FLOAT THE BAGS!! Well, it was to late, at this point I had 3 minutes left. I usually am a float, then into the QT tank they go. The bags that are used are a self breathing type (which is why they had no air in them). I have never seen these nor ordered online fish where these were used (hence my initial error). They are all doing great. I have had them for 7 days in the QT tank. Per the instructions, I could have KILLED them!

Does anyone have experience with these types of fish bags? my QT tank is a 10G so I am limited in space to temp acclimatize fish. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated so I know what to do the next time I order fish from a retailer that uses these bags. 

Hey @Sandra the fish rookie

When you recceive these bags dont float them. Instead you can put the fish in a bucket and start a drip acclimation. 

Depending on how cold/ warm the bags are you may not need to acclimate them. Sometimes hobbyists will skip the acclimation process when buying fish online because the high amonia in the bag can be toxic to the fish, so you wanna get the fish out ASAP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@James Black That is why I was a bit freaked when I saw no air and that is was really hot. I was not sure how reliable my infra red temp reader would be "through" a bag. 

I always was told ALWAYS FLOAT YOUR BAGS FIRST!! So.. I did.. and do. I have done the drip acclimation process and have not had good results ( I followed the instructions to a T). So, I have resorted back to my temp float method and have had success each time. Again, I am a rookie, so I learn a lot here (from all of you) and trial/error. 

If I were to remove them from that bag and put them in another "bag or container" to float/temp acclimate should I add Prime? My fear is ammonia as well. 

I ordered shrimp and snails from Flip and had no issues with overnight shipping and drip acclimation. They say not to add an ammonia neutralizer unless there is a death in the bag. There is a youtube video where they explain their acclimation process. I don't know if it's the same for their nano fish, but I've had six of their Amano shrimp for about three to four weeks with zero casualties. 

In any case, never float breather bags. I don't think you absolutely need to drip acclimate fish, but you can temp acclimate slowly by putting them in a bucket or container and adding your tank water in little increments at a time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Breather bags have microscopic holes that are big enough to let carbon dioxide out, and oxygen in to replenish the supply in the water for the fish.  However, this relies on having breathable air outside the bag to pull the oxygen gas in through those holes.  When you float the bag, you basically are cutting off the breathable air, and because these bags are filled completely full with no air in the bag, it is cutting off the oxygen to your fish in the bag.

OK, so if I open the breather bag at the top and clip one side to the rim of the aquarium, that would be OK because air can enter from the top.

But if you don't open the breather bag and there is no air inside, it won't float. So if you just drop that into your aquarium, at some point the the oxygen in the bag will be exhausted and the fish will die.

I want to ask if anyone has ever really done that, but someone probably has.

I got an order from Aqua Huna with ten cherry shrimp in a breather bag and their instructions were to float the bag, so I did, but I propped the bag up so only half was underwater and half was still exposed to air. There was enough contact with the tank water to equalize the temps, but the bag was also still exposed to the air for gas exchange. It worked fine. When in doubt, try and prop up the bag so half is exposed to the air and half to the water.

Technically, you shouldn't ship in breather bags as live fish are supposed to be double bagged and you can't double bag a breather bag, but people do what they do.