Just curious...

Marie Gater

More small meals are better in some ways. That is how fish in the wild eat. But in other ways fish don't really have to eat on any particular schedule as that too is often how it is the wild.

I have had adult angelfish that only got fed every 2 or 3 days and the water stayed very clean and the angelfish stayed very healthy.

But on the other hand, I have had juvenile discus and juvenile angelfish that I fed 15 - 20 times a day because they were growing and to maximize growth they needed near continuous food. 

Most importantly just don't feed any more than the fish will eat in 2 - 3 minutes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The main benefit I've seen from feeding multiples times/day is that it helps my slower eaters compete for food. With larger feedings, some fish will pick up 1-2 bites and then they're done, while other fish of the same species could eat several times more than that because they're eating what's left after the less aggressive feeder is done. Smaller feedings worked for me because it helped spread the food more evenly between the fish who are satisfied after a couple of bites vs. the ones that will always eat more.

• Thanks 1

I have been wondering about this, as I feed primarily through an automatic feeder that gives me the possibility for up to 5 feedings a day.  Until now I've been using two feedings with the feeder, and one from me so they still get excited when I come around, but reading this I may begin more feedings with smaller portions.

4 minutes ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I have been wondering about this, as I feed primarily through an automatic feeder that gives me the possibility for up to 5 feedings a day.  Until now I've been using two feedings with the feeder, and one from me so they still get excited when I come around, but reading this I may begin more feedings with smaller portions.

More (and better) food equals happier, healthier fish that are eager to breed, but paradoxically more food equals more waste in the tank, so either more plants or more filtration or more water changes or all three.

My happiest tanks get fed a lot and get their water changed a lot.

Usually with my small fish I feed once a day unless I am trying to breed them. I would guess it depends on the fish. My guppies I do feed twice a day but that’s just because they are so good at begging for food. My galaxy rasboras are once a day as well as my  spotted blue eye rainbows. My multis actually breed really well only feeding once a day. I do think that with most fish though the more you feed them the more likely they are to breed.

I was re watching a live show the other day, i think it was Aquarium Co-op, but they said fish get hungry angry (Hangry) too, and that the longer between feedings the more likely a fish is to pick on another fish, which picks on another fish, ect resulting in a more stressful aggressive environment. 

As long as you are feeding enough that all your fish are getting some food each feeding and you are Ok with the water changes, IMO, it tends to be better to feed several small meals throughout the day than 1 or 2 times.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

More (and better) food equals happier, healthier fish that are eager to breed, but paradoxically more food equals more waste in the tank, so either more plants or more filtration or more water changes or all three.

My happiest tanks get fed a lot and get their water changed a lot.

So far I've been changing water 2-3 times a week to control tannins, and they are finally starting to calm down, but frequent water changes are not out of the question.  I'm just trying to keep my little friends happy and healthy!  Sometimes it feels like they're the only ones I've got! 

Thanks to everyone for all the input. This has really given me a lot of good info, and I'm excited about trying to breed the guppies. Like I said I want to have them for family that's interested in the hobby, primarily my very first grandbaby. Her favorite place to be when she's here is in front of the tank. So I'm trying to pass on my limited knowledge to her Momma for now then hopefully to her. I feel like the guppies are a wonderful starting place.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Marie Gater said:

Thanks to everyone for all the input. This has really given me a lot of good info, and I'm excited about trying to breed the guppies. Like I said I want to have them for family that's interested in the hobby, primarily my very first grandbaby. Her favorite place to be when she's here is in front of the tank. So I'm trying to pass on my limited knowledge to her Momma for now then hopefully to her. I feel like the guppies are a wonderful starting place.

How the hobby survives...  great work!