Soft Water "GH 0" Question ~ I need help! ~ Thank you!!

JAG

I recently moved to the Puget Sound, Washington area and my water is PH 6.8   GH 0   KH 80

I have never had to deal with SUCH SOFT water before!

I will be adding crushed coral, but do I also combine it with Seachem Equilibrium and Wonder Shells?

I had to place all of my fish before I moved, so I am essentially starting over  :o(  Not fun!!

So far, I have bought a lot of plants and I will be water testing, with each addition, as my tanks cycle.

Any advice dealing with "GH 0" water ? ~ I need help! 

Thank you!!

I'm another equilibrium fan.  Its got a lot minerals plants want beyond just mg+ca to up GH.  Some people don't like the effort of manipulating their water but I only have a couple tanks so its a non-issue for me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CT_ said:

I'm another equilibrium fan.  Its got a lot minerals plants want beyond just mg+ca to up GH.  Some people don't like the effort of manipulating their water but I only have a couple tanks so its a non-issue for me.

Do you make up a big batch of pre mineralized water for changes or do you add the Equilibrium after you do the change? 

6 hours ago, Patrick_G said:

Do you make up a big batch of pre mineralized water for changes or do you add the Equilibrium after you do the change? 

The instructions say to premeasure and mix into a 1L bottle of water, but that's too complicated for me.

I have a 0.5ml spoon (just under 1/8th teaspoon) that I take a level scoop from and add it for each gallon of water in my bucket.  It's a pretty small amount so it dissolves okay in my bucket that I use add water to my tank.  There's always a little that doesn't dissolve in the bottom.  I suspect its some of the iron in there.  If I'm only changing a gallon (out of about 11) I sometimes just put the water in first and dump a spoon full directly into the tank.  I'm afraid to do that for larger water changes because of hardness swings, but IDK if that is a legitimate fear or not. 

I arrived at the 0.5ml scoop by calculating how much I needed and guessing at the density (its actually about 1g/ml if you shake the can first so the powder is somewhat loose) and then tweaked my dosing a bit over time based of off empirical measurements.  In truth I don't think exactly X GH is critical though.

• Like 1

Thanks @CT_! Since I started the Equilibrium my  tanks have been reasonably well balanced so I haven’t had to do much in the way of water changes. I know I’ll eventually have to do some and I’d like to keep a relatively stable GH. It doesn’t have to be perfect but the livebearers and inverts clearly don’t like my tap so a little boost is needed. 

• Like 1