Your experiance with Madagascar Lace Plant

Hey everyone!
My local plant supplier has some Madagascar Lace Plant in stock, and its sooo pretty!

But it looks like its a hard to plant to take care of, whats your experiance with it? It looks almost like a sword, should I treat it as a sword? does it grow fast, slow?

Also share pictures!

Edited by James Black

Mine is a magnet for any algae or debris in the tank. From what I understand you don't want to bury the bulb, but you do want to bury any roots sticking out of the bulb. It's probably too much plant for a newbie like me. I do have some growth in a low tech tank, definitely faster than a crypt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, James Black said:

I've read that they enjoy colder waters. Do you think they would be fine in like 76-78F?

I keep my tank at 78. I've also heard that they like flow which makes sense considering the leaf design.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There are several plants sold as  Madagascar Lace Plant; I believe the true Madagascar Lace Plant is a relatively small narrow leaf. I think the large leaf plant is  henkelianus. Anyway i have both. I've found they grow readily in my aquariums at 77 (during the summer the water gets up to 80) and require no special care and have no issues with algae. The henkelianus does get too large in a high tech tank and the lace plant is a bit delicate (my lemon blue eye is constantly knocking the leaves off). Here is a picture of my 29 with what I believe to be henkelianus:

t2.jpg.3675c4a084df4db9c60a9468e7a20da9.jpg

• Like 2