Stocking Advice (how many is too many)

Liquidreel

Hello!

I have a Fluval Spec 16 gallon. I currently have a Betta, 9 Ember tetras, 2 Kuhli Loaches, 5 Ottos and 5 Cherry Shrinp. Cory said during a stream he does not think it’s overstocked. So the question is.... how many more ember tetras could I add? Additional question will the Kuhlis and the Shrimp be a good enough clean up crew for spare micro pellets?

C26BC0DA-0FE7-4844-9769-AC48FEAAD237.jpeg

If it was me I would do a max of about 25-30 ember tetras. It all depends on how often you want to change water from nitrate buildup.

How often do you do a water change?

If your in your current setup how long does it take for your nitrates to get too high? If it takes two,three, or even four or more weeks before you have to do a water change ,Then You definitely could add a lot more ember tetras in, but water changes might have to be more frequent

On the other hand if it only takes a week or less before you have to do a water change then don’t add more, unless you don’t mind doing even more water changes.

Edited by James V.

It's all depends how much you want to do water changes. I would slowly add the tetras so as not to shock the system with the increased bio-load. I would probably add 3-4 and then add another 3-4 a month or two later. This would give your biological system time to grow for the increased load on the tank, and then from there see how quickly your nitrates jump.

As for cherry shrimp and kuhli loaches, I feel like the cherry shrimp will do a better job and once they start reproducing you should not have to worry to much about the excess food. 

6 hours ago, James V. said:

If it was me I would do a max of about 25-30 ember tetras. It all depends on how often you want to change water from nitrate buildup.

How often do you do a water change?

If your in your current setup how long does it take for your nitrates to get too high? If it takes two,three, or even four or more weeks before you have to do a water change ,Then You definitely could add a lot more ember tetras in, but water changes might have to be more frequent

On the other hand if it only takes a week or less before you have to do a water change then don’t add more, unless you don’t mind doing even more water changes.

I don't have too set of a schedule for water changes (a goal to change that). But whenever I have tested I am always right between 20 and 40 ppm. This tank used to have pea puffers so water changes were fairly frequent but only like 5% when I vacuumed up any spare blood worms after a big feeding. 

4 hours ago, Brian K said:

It's all depends how much you want to do water changes. I would slowly add the tetras so as not to shock the system with the increased bio-load. I would probably add 3-4 and then add another 3-4 a month or two later. This would give your biological system time to grow for the increased load on the tank, and then from there see how quickly your nitrates jump.

As for cherry shrimp and kuhli loaches, I feel like the cherry shrimp will do a better job and once they start reproducing you should not have to worry to much about the excess food. 

Slow additions seems like a great idea! Thanks so much! I'll pick up three more today.

• Like 1