Baby girl Betta with popeye

Nini

Saw “Baby Blue” in Petco while buying some small animal bedding a little over a week ago. Just took hold of that small plastic cup and took her home with me. Yes we named her already. I know it sounds strange but it’s like she’s bonded with us already.  Two days after getting her I noticed her one eye was larger than the other. Been medicating her with Maracyn for four days, eye still swollen but not as much and she seems happy in her 10 gallon tank. It has a heater and sponge filter and I added a smooth rock. I ordered a betta log and food from aquarium coop due  here tomorrow.  

She eats out of my hand and follows it around. She swims to meet me when I walk by the tank and comes up to my hand when I put it in the tank. Sometimes she lays her tail to the side and lets it roll over /cover my finger.  I think she couldn’t see at first as she would miss the food pellet a couple times til she got it lined up. She’s much better at that now.

Questions: med bottle says medicate for no more than 5 days. Is that it? Is there something more I need to do.

How long does it take to heal? 
If it does not heal will I be able someday to add say some neons to keep her company? 
At what point can I add live plants?

Thanks for any advice to help her.

After you have finished the Frist course of maracyn I would treat with aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons for 1 week the salt reduce the fluid buildup in the eye if you use salt remember only put the amount of salt you take out back in so if you do a 2 gallon water change put 1 table spoon of salt back in if there's no improvement after 1 week I would do another course of maracyn

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

Colu

Thank you so very much for your help. Blu’s Eye is reducing in size since being in aquarium salt water. Couple more days then I think I will redo Maracyn meds again. I did notice I had purchased Maracyn oxy and that it said it is not an antibiotic so I purchased and quickly received the Maracyn from aquarium coop. Not sure what the difference is but thought I should get the one suggested.  Blu seems quite happy in the 10 gal tank. I did purchase and placed in the tank a betta log which she immediately swam into.  She swims to the front of the tank when I walk by. She seems to always be hungry!
Question -

Do I need to change out all the salt water when I begin the next Maracyn treatment? Or just add Maracyn? 

Again thanks so very much for you advice. It is reassuring to have folks like you willing to help people like me who are new to this wonderful world of fish keeping.
Nini