Water Circulation

Ben Mills

1 hour ago, Ben Mills said:

So I’m thinking about getting a water circulation pump for my 20 gallon. (Nano size). If I decide to get it, where would I position it in relation to my HOBs I have in the tank?

I've tried more advanced hydor powerheads, as well as very inexpensive internal water pumps for this purpose. I'm convinced that all you really need with a 20 gal is a cheap, ca. $10 pump. I tend to prefer to position mine on a side, 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down (nearer the substrate) pointing across the tank lengthwise. I also tend to position my HOB off to one side. Sometimes I add a mall sponge on the opposite side in the back too. This picture is not really helpful . . . but in the back left is a large HOB. On the bottom left, near the gravel, is a cheap water pump pointing across the bottom 1/3 of the tank from left to right. In the back right is a small facto-surge sponge filter that draws flow upward. So, the effect is _sort of_ a circle: down and in on the left, across the bottom, up the back right, and then back down to the intake. 

3C7AD124-8FDE-40C4-A69E-10A3410BB6A8.jpeg.28098cb16ff7ea517e22656f075685b8.jpeg

• Love 1

19 minutes ago, Trish said:

@Fish Folk can you share what size tank your beautiful photo is?  is it low tech, the Val is gorgeous!

Absolutely. This is a 29 gal. I would definitely call it "low tech." It is a cold (room temperature) U.S. Native stocked tank (Rainbow Shiners, Rainbow Darters, Florida Flagfish). This is at my study, so the water chemistry is a bit different than at home. I think the water is harder here than at home. The substrate is Eco Complete. Root tabs were placed in the substrate for Valisneria Americana. I water change every week or two, 50%. After each water change, I add one capful of Flourish liquid plant fertilizer. Lighting is one T-12 (??) Fluorescent bulb designed for reef tank lighting, and one cheap 5,000 K LED shop light from WalMart. Photoperiod is very long (because hydrophlox shiners need the photoperiod lengthened to stimulate day lengthening for spawning trigger) -- from ca. 7:00 AM to ca. 10:00 pm, 15 hrs.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Absolutely. This is a 29 gal. I would definitely call it "low tech." It is a cold (room temperature) U.S. Native stocked tank (Rainbow Shiners, Rainbow Darters, Florida Flagfish). This is at my study, so the water chemistry is a bit different than at home. I think the water is harder here than at home. The substrate is Eco Complete. Root tabs were placed in the substrate for Valisneria Americana. I water change every week or two, 50%. After each water change, I add one capful of Flourish liquid plant fertilizer. Lighting is one T-12 (??) Fluorescent bulb designed for reef tank lighting, and one cheap 5,000 K LED shop light from WalMart. Photoperiod is very long (because hydrophlox shiners need the photoperiod lengthened to stimulate day lengthening for spawning trigger) -- from ca. 7:00 AM to ca. 10:00 pm, 15 hrs.

@Fish FolkThank you for being so detailed with your info!  Val of any sort is very hard to obtain here.  If I can get some, will it thrive in a 78 degree tank with a Fluval 2.0 ?  I can just see it melting now... don't want to be disappointed. :classic_sad:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

I've tried more advanced hydor powerheads, as well as very inexpensive internal water pumps for this purpose. I'm convinced that all you really need with a 20 gal is a cheap, ca. $10 pump. I tend to prefer to position mine on a side, 1/2 or 3/4 of the way down (nearer the substrate) pointing across the tank lengthwise. I also tend to position my HOB off to one side. Sometimes I add a mall sponge on the opposite side in the back too. This picture is not really helpful . . . but in the back left is a large HOB. On the bottom left, near the gravel, is a cheap water pump pointing across the bottom 1/3 of the tank from left to right. In the back right is a small facto-surge sponge filter that draws flow upward. So, the effect is _sort of_ a circle: down and in on the left, across the bottom, up the back right, and then back down to the intake. 

3C7AD124-8FDE-40C4-A69E-10A3410BB6A8.jpeg.28098cb16ff7ea517e22656f075685b8.jpeg

Thanks. Do you have a link for the pump?

3 hours ago, Trish said:

@Fish FolkThank you for being so detailed with your info!  Val of any sort is very hard to obtain here.  If I can get some, will it thrive in a 78 degree tank with a Fluval 2.0 ?  I can just see it melting now... don't want to be disappointed. :classic_sad:

Val is struggling at home in our 85-degree discus tank, with soft water. But I think that is due to algae build up on the long shoots.