Looking for everyone's go-to method for growing infusoria!

Alexoxoandra

22 minutes ago, Alexoxoandra said:

I've had cories laying eggs for months. Even my neon tetras and dwarf gouramis are breeding. Going to try and collect and hatch eggs and wondering what your go-to infusoria methods are?

We fed Corydoras without infusoria. But here’s a few less-traditional methods:

(1) Pull eggs into isolated hang-in specimen container with bubbles. Drop in a few Alder Cones. Bio grows on them  within days, giving ample context for infusoria (which feeds on bacteria). Same is true for Catappa leaves. Both will add tannins too - helpful anti-fungal properties

(2) Take a quart-size container, fill with tank water. Remove a sponge filter, squeeze / rinse out initial squeeze over sink. Then 2nd squeeze, drip into the quart container. Allow to settle. This is filled with bio+infusoria. Throw in a piece of Anacharis. Draw off the clear upper portion of the liquid to feed infusoria.

I dislike “stinky” options 🤢🤮😷

• Thanks 2

I tried a method with a veggie in the bottom. I could not tell whether it worked or not but it sure did get stinky. I am not sure if the small amount of Aquarium plant pieces I put at the top had enough to start it. I'm going to try this today! How long does it take to see the infusoria? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Acara Mom said:

I tried a method with a veggie in the bottom. I could not tell whether it worked or not but it sure did get stinky. I am not sure if the small amount of Aquarium plant pieces I put at the top had enough to start it. I'm going to try this today! How long does it take to see the infusoria? 

Thanks!

For sponge filter squeezing, once it settles, if you have a good magnifying glass, you’ll see some. Microscope on low power is better. Shine bright light through. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alexoxoandra said:

Thank you, @Fish Folk! I can do the #1 easily. Just waiting on my ziss breeding box from the co-op but I have catappa leaves. Is there an ideal temp that worked for you? I typically keep mine set at 75 (always measures about .4-.7° lower with the heater probe and .6° higher with the extra thermometer)

Temp can get up to 80 degrees. But cool water changes seem to trigger spawning. 

I’m attempting to grow infusoria for my fry (either dwarf neon rainbow or rummy nose tetra, not sure).  I watched Irene’s video and several others on YouTube.  I’ve gone with filter squeezings, trimmings and water from the main tank and some anacharis that’s starting to fall apart.  Oh, and an air line.  In Irene’s video she had a light on the jar for warmth.  Well, my ambient room temp is over 80 so I’m not worried about that.  Is light needed for the infusoria to grow or will it be okay with limited light?  I have the jar near the fish tank so it’ll get some light from that but nothing dedicated.  Is over 80 degrees too hot?