German blue Rams had babies

ND1990

Hard to tell from picture, but they had babies within 2 weeks or less since introducing them. I didn’t know they had eggs so I’m not as prepared. 

I have Hikari first bites, are those small enough to feed if I let them dissolve in a syringe and water? I had a whole set up coming to take eggs out when that time comes but they hid them.

C6185D1A-C762-46EC-B52A-576AB1632204.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, ND1990 said:

Hard to tell from picture, but they had babies within 2 weeks or less since introducing them. I didn’t know they had eggs so I’m not as prepared. 

I have Hikari first bites, are those small enough to feed if I let them dissolve in a syringe and water? I had a whole set up coming to take eggs out when that time comes but they hid them.

C6185D1A-C762-46EC-B52A-576AB1632204.jpeg

That’s very cool!

Baby Rams need a well-established tank with ample infusoria... or an artificial hatching / grow out container you serve them micro live foods in. Eventually, once they’ll eat BBS, you’re good to go.

15 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

That’s very cool!

Baby Rams need a well-established tank with ample infusoria... or an artificial hatching / grow out container you serve them micro live foods in. Eventually, once they’ll eat BBS, you’re good to go.

Pretty excited! The next batch will for sure be in a grow out I have everything was just surprised. As for food where would I look for infusoria? Tank has been up for months. 

It’s pretty adorable to see the baby fish run off from the location and the dad runs up and takes them back lol 

Hiraki first bite is small enough for them to eat the problem is it doesn't move much. The frys react instinctly to movement so bbs is best. If the parents are caring for them then you are off to a good start because frequently parents are not so good. Be aware that bbs is pretty much only good the first 48 hours from hatching so just hatch a tiny bit inject it with an eye dropper and hatch more. After about 3 to 5 weeks they should be old enough to ween onto non-live food. As a general rule they should be fed 3 to 6 times a day but only a tiny amount. over-feeding (as in too much food - not too frequent) is a real negative and problem. If you feed a tiny bit frequently the ones that are hungry will be the ones that eat first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, anewbie said:

Hiraki first bite is small enough for them to eat the problem is it doesn't move much. The frys react instinctly to movement so bbs is best. If the parents are caring for them then you are off to a good start because frequently parents are not so good. Be aware that bbs is pretty much only good the first 48 hours from hatching so just hatch a tiny bit inject it with an eye dropper and hatch more. After about 3 to 5 weeks they should be old enough to ween onto non-live food. As a general rule they should be fed 3 to 6 times a day but only a tiny amount. over-feeding (as in too much food - not too frequent) is a real negative and problem. If you feed a tiny bit frequently the ones that are hungry will be the ones that eat first.

I’m familiar with baby brine so I’m good to go with that and definitely not worried about over feeding this tank it’s 125 gallons what’s left will be taken care of. Next time when I move them to a holder ill keep an eye on it for sure. 
when should I switch to bbs?

• Like 1

Throw a Mystery snail or two in your tank. Their digestion is poor and their waste is natural infusoria for small fry.  My microscopic CPD fry thrived without live foods or anything other than first bites. They were my first fish in this hobby and I was clueless and still successful thanks to snails.

Congratulations! While these are Bolivians they all will start looking for fresh hatched BBS as little as this.. get your hatcher out!  You want to see those little bellies full and pink from BBS.  :classic_smile:

Ram fry 1.jpg

Cichlid Fry Trio 3.jpg

Edited by Trish

6 hours ago, Trish said:

Congratulations! While these are Bolivians they all will start looking for fresh hatched BBS as little as this.. get your hatcher out!  You want to see those little bellies full and pink from BBS.  :classic_smile:

Ram fry 1.jpg

Cichlid Fry Trio 3.jpg

Even that small! Perfect! 
The parents are on top of this to like I mentioned earlier it’s so cool to watch.